Review Movies Now!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Shaded Light, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Shaded Light

Shaded Light Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Movies Now!
    by Shaded Light

Kodu Ltd. brings you: Movies Now!, the most graphically intensive movie app on the app store. You can view showtimes, ratings, theatres, previews, buy tickets, and much more in Movies Now! The showstopper of this app is the stunning visual quality of the image posters, and utilizing the poster view, which is remarkably similar to the view in Classics.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Click the image to view it on the App Store

Fundamentally, this movie app is no different than any other movie app out there, but there are some features on Movies Now! That make all other movie apps obsolete. From the screenshots you will see an app that may be one of the best looking app of any category on the App Store, and when it comes to movie apps, this one competes with features as well.

Movies that are playing "Now!"

Features:

When you turn on the app, movies show up in order of when they are playing next. It utilizes location services to find the theatres closest to you. You immediately notice the visual quality of the app, with incredible graphics and flip-clocks telling you when the next movies are going to play. Tapping on the US Box Office tab on top will link you to a list of films organized by weekend gross.

Here are the movies listed by theatre value.

When you hit the movie tab, movies will pop up according to rank, in terms of stars. You can also view movies that are coming soon, and view movies organized alphabetically. From here, tap on one of the great posters to get details, reviews, showtimes, and a video trailer. Tapping on the poster when in detail mode brings you to the trailer. One plus here, is that it doesn’t link you to YouTube, the video is internally in the app, so when you are done viewing, you go right back to Movies Now!, and don’t have to worry about relaunching the app.

This is poster view, to view more movies scroll up or down.

Tapping on the Cinemas tab allows you to pick out the theatre you want to go to, and then see what movies are playing there. It will automatically use Location Services to find theatres within 5 miles, but you can also search by Zip Code, or type in the name of the theatre. If you like a particular theatre that is out of the 5 mile range, you can save it into your favorites by tapping the Star icon when you are viewing the theatre in-app. One problem here is that sometimes, location services will not function properly. It works fine when viewing movies, but when you are trying to find cinemas, you may get a “No Cinema Found” screen. I believe this is a bug only on 3.0 however, this feature worked fine when I was on 2.2.1, and I have only had this glitch since I updated.

Click to view @MoviesNow​

Tickets:

The next feature is buying tickets. I have yet to buy tickets though this app (or online anywhere), but buying tickets on Movies Now! Is very easy. It is only a 3 Step process, and you can even store your credit card information in the app, which is secure. The tickets are purchased through MovieTickets.com, a very popular online move ticket purchasing site.

After you have purchased tickets, you get this confirmation screen

Graphics:

I’ve gone through all the features of the app, I will have a nice talk about the GUI. To put it simply, amazing. To relate this to the iPod/iPhone world, the graphics remind me of the Matte Nano theme, and the Matte GUI by Kediashubham. It may also remind you of other themes like Rohmer EP, Silkymatte, or Tenuis. Basically, a GUI that is super easy on the eyes, and makes you want to use the app. I was Perfectly happy with Now Playing, but I caught a glimpse of Movies Now!,and since it was free, I had to try it out, and boy was I glad. For me, an app is only as good as it looks. If an app has pixelly and jagged graphics, why should anyone think that the app is any better? And I can tell you, that, this app lives up to it’s visual quality. The one downfall is ads, but the app is free, so I can’t really complain.

Overall

When it comes to Movie apps, this app has a minuscule amount of downloads compared to apps released with the App Store. This app was released much later than the original movie apps, and it is a breath of fresh air. Movies Now! Has so many features, that are all seamlessly integrated and visually stunning. The one downfall of this app is speed. It takes a considerably larger amount of time to load up movie times and info compared to other movie apps, which is understandable considering the amount it loads up each time. If this app was as fast as other movie apps, I feel it should be the only movie app. It packs in so many features, but it keeps its simplicity.

It has come to my attention that this is a US App only, which is quite a shame. I wish other people in other countries could use it, but that is not currently available.

Ease of Use - 9
    GUI -10
    Features - 8
    Information – 9
    Reuse Value – 8
    Dollar Value - 10
    Overall - 9 EXCELLENT

Buy it now by clicking on the price below:

Attached Files:

2. Samm

Samm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice review, Checking it out now..
  3. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Looks good for a free app.
  4. Shaded Light

Shaded Light Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    please post your thoughts, and how well you think my review showed the app.
    it is, give it a go.
  5. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I agree, nice review. Detailed.
  6. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    But is it USA only?

EDIT: Yes

7. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad

looked so good aswell... :'(
  8. Shaded Light

Shaded Light Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Oh that's a shame... I didn't know. I might have to make some adjustments.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    adjustments made.
  9. Shaded Light

Shaded Light Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    After further inspection, this is available in the UK. To the posters above me, is it unavailable in your app store? Because if you open up the settings you can set the country to US or UK.
  10. Mgssidley

Mgssidley Member

That looks really good. Don't know if I will get it though.