Movies crashing my touch

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by TheH, Oct 9, 2007.

1. TheH

TheH New Member

Hi there,
    I'm not sure if it's something with the videos, but when I try to play a few 24 episodes on my touch it crashes it, it reboots the unit, I get the apple logo like when it's booting up, and then on another video it just stops playing and goes back to the video list.

Also I'm having problems transferring movies to my touch, after transferring 1 or 2 large movies, (1+ hour) it stops transferring and I get an iTunes error message saying the ipod touch timed out and it can't sync.

I don't know if it's a bad unit or is something else..
    I'm using DVDfab to encode videos from DVD to mpeg4, some how h.264 doesn't play on my touch, it plays on itunes, but not in the touch..
  2. itouch101

itouch101 New Member

Hmm it might just be the encoder that you're using I have.. Boondocks, The Office and other series on my touch and they all seem to play fine.
  3. TheH

TheH New Member

What software are you using?
    This is the thing, I have dvds, the process I have right now is:
    1-. Transfer the dvds to my pc using dvd decrypter,
    2-. DVDfab the VOB folder to mpeg4, for a 24 episode take sabout 35 minutes.

And then I'm done (if it works)

but with videora I need to first have it on avi, I can't do it straight from the dvd folder or dvd disk, and still it takes way more time (hours).

I'm runing windows as you can see, so I don't know if there is a better way.

This is perfect and fast when the video works, the apps (dvd fab) doesn't crash, it doesn't take to long.. but now I don't know if it's the app or the touch that is bad.

Let me know what do you use? or maybe you convert from avi and not VOB
  4. itouch101

itouch101 New Member

I use AoA MP4 Convertor.. but then again.. I download all my stuff >_<
  5. TheH

TheH New Member

ic that's the thing, it will take me for ever to transfer the dvd to the HDD, then convert to avi, then format to an ipod compatible file.. this sucks..

There's got to be another way, or maybe my ipod it's just broken and that's why I'm getting the sync and video problems and is not dvdfab..

Anyone else out there had this issue?
  6. michaelchan0427

michaelchan0427 New Member

From what i have observed, it seems that there are problems on the conversion process. What exactly did you convert? How long are the episodes? From my past experience, encoding vob to ipod format was never a quick task, unless you have a workstation class PC (hi-end dual core, >=4GB ram). If you haven't had a extreme PC, then there are a few possibilities: You have a corrupted hdd, which gives abnormal behavior during conversion; You have a corrupted USB port / ipod cable, which causes the bad sync; Last possible case, you have a corrupted iPod Touch, which is more unlikely then the previous cases because I never had a bad iPod before.

I suggest you troubleshoot as follow, but first you must make sure that your ipod touch could sync music properly.

1. Try to view your converted video
    2. Try to convert a single chapter instead of the whole disc and see if the ipod touch could be sync properly. (Of cuz you will need to do 1. before sync)
    3. Try to download some ipod touch ready clips, a good starting point would be this: http://www.mp4point.com/nike-leave-nothing-commercial/
    4. Try restore your ipod touch.
    5. Try to format your ipod touch (Not quick format)
    6. Check your usb ports, see if other devices work.

If your ipod sync music and ipod ready movie clips properly, then it's your problem. Try other video conversion program. Don't ask me which ones, cuz i don't know.... sorry about that.