Movie Converting Size Issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by doofeh, Jan 5, 2008.

1. doofeh

doofeh New Member

Ok so ive recently downloaded videora to convert my .avi into .mp4. The avi files are around a bout 700mb or so, and when adjusting the settings on videora to all of about a medium level (e.g audio quality etc.) i get an estimated size of 400mb. I convert and after a stupid amount of time here i am with a 1.5gb mp4 :|.

Surely there is a faster and more efficient process than this?
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

There is. Download the open-source MediaCoder package.

The drawback for those that aren't familiar with the use of codecs and settings is that it has no simple presets like most of the prepackaged converters do. This is completely manual. It isn't novice-friendly. You have to configure both the video and audio codecs you want to use. If you're not familiar with how to do that then it's not going to be your best choice.

The upshot is that you have complete control over the size and quality of the video and audio output.
  3. Eragon

Eragon New Member

Are your avi files existing in that format or are you ripping into avi? It takes me approximately two hours to rip a DVD title and convert directly to MP4 using Handbrake. The ripped file size depends on whether I have selected main feature or full disc rips (3.5 GB to 7.5 GB). After converting to MP4, file size of the output file varies between 1 GB for a 1.5 hour flick to 1.5 GB for a 2.5-3 hour film. File size can be reduced further by downgrading the conversion settings (mine are 1500 kbps video/160 kbps audio).
  4. jcl

jcl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I got it to work for the popular converter (starts with V cant remember its name) and doing 512/128 setup profile that someone suggested. Converted a 700mb to 400-500mb and was fine quality.