mouse

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by berky93, Feb 5, 2008.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

what if there was an app that would let you hook your ipod to your laptop via wifi and use it as a mouse? it could use the same features as the macbook air's multitouch trackpad, and could even display some info!
  2. dpocius

dpocius New Member

Don't know if the accelerometer is sensitive enough for that. A mouse senses change in position, while a Touch senses change in speed. Might feel a whole lot different than a typical mouse.
  3. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You'd have to move it really fast to where you'd want it to go, and the Accelerometer is always Running, it never stops moving, you can see this issue if you have iHokey, or iLevel...
  4. kyungjin

kyungjin New Member

Do you really need the accelerometer?

For a touchpad, all the iPod Touch would need to do is measure the position, direction (initial point to final point) and speed of the movement. Then using that data, a sensativity multiplier would be factored in and then relayed to the computer via wifi setting and moving the cursor x units left/right and y units up/down.

I see no need for an accelerometer... unless you're gonna tilt the iPod/iPhone itself to control the mouse cursor. If you're going for that option, then the depth position on the iPod/iPhone would have to be taken account in relation to the horizontal and vertical axes before the sensativity multiplier is factored in.

Either way, the iPod/iPhone should already have the information on regulating and measuring the speed, position and the direction of the touch path when the user interacts with the touch screen interface. The problem is, how do we tap into that information, multiply a user defined ammount (sensativity) and relay it into the form of x and y coordinates that must be added to the current horizontal and vertical positions of the mouse so that it can be used readily by the computer.

Personally, I think the hardest part of this project would be how to relay the coordinates of the mouse to the computer via wifi router.

But then again, I'm no programmer (just a dreamer) so I wouldn't know... haha