Mouse vs. Tablet

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by Teslanaut, May 7, 2009.

?

Mouse or Tablet?

1. I use a Tablet. Makes things easier.

59.1%
  2. I use a Mouse. It does just fine.

40.9%
  1. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I've been thinking of getting a Tablet for Photoshop and such. I sometimes think it's better since it could probably be more precise than a simple mouse. Is this true? Do any of you use Tablets? Does it make things easier? Would you say it's worth it? Which Tablets are good? I know of Wacom and am thinking of getting the Bamboo series thingy. And how long does it take to get use to?​
  2. Aurongel

Aurongel Banned

It really depends on the model of Tablet you receive...

My cousin bought one that had Vista Premium installed and the touch screen was...
    finnicky to say the least. He too bought it with Photoshop in mind (digital matte artist), and he said the touch sensitivity and precision weren't that decisive or impressive...

Folding the laptop into it's tablet form is great for programs and such, but is AWFUL for web browsing and other things. It ruins the CSS and PHP layout of every webpage imaginable. Worse yet, is that I have never seen a tablet PC where the writing-recognition feature (keyboard replacement) actually worked like it was supposed to...

Keep in mind that you can always just buy a cheap-o USB mouse to use when the touch screen is not sufficient on its' own

It has its' pros and cons like everything else...

Do you happen to know anyone with a tablet PC (much like the one you're looking into) that you could test out?

I'm unsure of the current price they fetch on the market, but when I checked a year ago, they were quite expensive. Not Lenovo Thinkpad, or Macbook expensive per-se, but still quite costly...
  3. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Teslanaut's thinking of a drawing tablet, not a tablet PC.

It really depends on the kind of task you want to do with it. Retouching and touching up photos can be done with a mouse just as well, but doing freehand drawing is greatly improved by a tablet.
    As you said, it's more precise and even if you suck at drawing with a pencil, it will still be easier to draw with a tablet than a mouse because using a pencil to draw is a natural thing.
    Using a mouse to draw in the same manner requires a lot more effort.
  4. Dark-Moon

Dark-Moon New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I have a wacom bamboo tablet and let me tell you, it is awesome, i draw freehand using Photoshop, only paid 69.99 at Best Buy and it does what i need it to do.
  5. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I do not have a Tablet, But I've used one before. In my opinion it makes things easier. No matter what, You could definitely do many things with a mouse in Photoshop. Having a Tablet does widen your ability though. Also, Remember that MANY designers that use Photoshop often use Tablets.

I say get a tablet.
  6. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i have seen people do amazing things with wacom tablets here at school things that just dont seem possible with a mouse.... if your serious about it i say invest in one
  7. wibble

wibble New Member

I have a Graphire Wacom tablet, it's amazing for doing digital painting; I can easily replicate painting strokes with the pressure sensor.

Though it depends on the type of work you'll be doing. For some things I still prefer a mouse.
  8. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Most game designers use Ps + Tablets to draw in-game cars and such..
  9. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Personally, I think it's entirely up to you. There's no reason why you shouldn't use a mouse if you don't want to. I do all of my art with my laptop's trackpad, and I've never felt limited by it.
  10. Andrew2

Andrew2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My buddy has the bamboo, its pretty fun to fool around with, but it also gives you alot more freedom.