Mount iPod Touch or iPhone on Desktop

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by kinematic@yahoo.com, Oct 14, 2007.

1. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned. I was looking for a new client to do sFtp on my OS X finder. Installed this and I can now just drag and drop stuff onto my directories as if it was a mounted drive.

Very handy. Tested it and it works great.

Couple of things to look for when installing is to make sure your iPod is on and wiFi is active, then create a favorite and share and select it from the icon on your menu bar.

That simple

Heres the programs to do it. MacFusion and MacFuse are required in the installation.

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/08/mgorbach/MacFusionWeb/

Cheers
  2. Jellicle

Jellicle New Member

Awesome. I had MacFusion and was using it for ftp servers, but this I didn't know...

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. spoolin

spoolin New Member

Sounds sweet.

What if you do not have a WiFi connection though? Are you still able to mount via USB and transfer data?

Cheers!

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. dave_kiwi

dave_kiwi New Member

Mac Fuse - SSH File System

Mac Fuse also supports a SSH file system as well.
    I use this with ipot and my MacBook

Very handy - operates like a normal drive mounted in
    finder

This only works over wireless and for best results
    it pays to disable autolock so wireless connection doesn't
    drop.

Only for Mac OSX 10.4 and above

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/
  5. sagsi

sagsi New Member

I would think you can do something similar from a Windows PC using FTP programs like WS_FTP ... although you can't mount your iPod to your desktop, you can drag/drop files to/from it.
  6. kinematic@yahoo.com

You can only do this with WiFi, but if your mac has an Airport card you could set it up as a WiFi router and share it. Make sure you follow security procedures to make it secure.

Good Luck.
  7. vallyglenn

vallyglenn New Member

Newbie needs help!

Hi!

I downloaded, installed, and ran mac fusion.
    What next? I'm not sure what SSH means, and I'm not sure how to use an FTP with my Ipot.

In "favorites" do I choose SSH or FTP? What would the Server and Server path be?

Thanks!
  8. kinematic@yahoo.com

SSH is the Secure Shell that is used to navigate through your iPod Touch. You should select SSH as the choice but before you do that you should also change the password if this is a freshly jailbroken system. You can do this by using Terminal and typing ssh root@(your iPod Touch IP Address). To find the IP, go to settings on your iPod Touch and hit WiFi and select the connection it is connected to (which should be the same network as your desktop computer). Once you've connected to the iPod it will ask for the password and the default is 'alpine' without the quotes.

From there, you can type 'passwd' to change your password. Follow the on screen instructions and it should proceed fine. If you can't get into your iPod that means you don't have SSH installed which is required to make this work. (follow this link on how to jailbreak http://www.ifans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31595&postcount=2 or you can go to the installer and install BSD and Open SSH found in the Installer if it is already jailbroken)

Once that's all established, you can then proceed to use MacFusion instead of cyberduck or other FTP programs. Select Favorites, then edit, then click the + button and select SSH.
    Name your connection appropriately, Server will be the same IP address you entered before. Don't change the port. Server Path can be left alone too, but if you want to go further into the bowels of your iPod Touch, then enter a /
    Username should be root, and Authentication Password.

When the password is asked, you can select add to keychain so it won't ask you again.

That's it. For the most part it will always attempt to stay connected to your iPod when it can. It won't force it to stay awake, so it's up to your iPod Touch to maintain the connection. If you want to keep the network alive, turn off 'auto lock' in the settings. I also recommend plugging into your usb cable, but it's not necessary.

That should be it. If you have a wireless G it should be pretty snappy to move files back and forth.

Good Luck.
  9. sat437

sat437 New Member

AFPd is much better

install AFPd on your ipod and just connect to server in the finder.
    drag and drop what you want.
  10. ceyhan

ceyhan New Member

I found AFP to be very usntable.. I'll have to try t hese other methods when I get home.

To AFP - you have to install AFP'd from installer.
    Go to finder, click Go - > Connect to server, type in afp://youripodsIPaddress
    and connect - simple as that.. it just was a little unstable.

If you cannot connect, download uctrl.app from installer and start the AFP CORE process - sometimes it does not start.