MOTHER OF ALL iBRICKR THREADS *Noob Guide*

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by iatealitlebabie, Jan 26, 2008.

1. iatealitlebabie

iatealitlebabie New Member

AOL Instant Messenger: iatealitlebabie
    if you gotta quick question about this lemme know. Im on periodically.​

WHAT WILL THIS ACCOMPLISH FOR YOU?
    You will have 1.1.3 with the apps and wiggles. If you payed theres a method for you. If you didn't by the end you will have the apps and 1.1.3 firmware.

Testimonial: I was able to manually jailbreak it thanks to the signature link in iatealitlebabie's tag. I restored to 1.1.1 , jailbroke, installed BSD subsystem and SSH. I then downloaded a copy of the bin file from the internet instead of using the ibrikr one that my computer was making. I SSH'd in and uploaded the file and then installed the softupgrade in installer. Worked great!!

Thank you so very much for your link IATEALITTLEBABIE.
    - SCREEM

The pictures in this post are from LifeHacker.com So lets thank them for their hosting!
    I left some of their text but this is 90% all my writing. Have a look at theirs if you want.

Remember this is installing the iPhone Firmware NOT the iPod Touch Firmware. So its gonna have a few bugs. But still stable enough to use. It should hold you over until the 1.1.3 TOUCH Jailbrake comes out.

Make sure you set Auto-Lock in settings to “Never” before you begin!
    I recommend starting off with a fresh iPod Touch that has been restored to 1.1.1. If you are on:

1.1.3: Your gonna wanna download the 1.1.3 Downgrade from the attachments. Follow the directions in the read me. That will get you back into restore mode, and then you can use iTunes to go back to a previous 1.1.1 firmware that you downloaded at some point before this. If you dont have it go here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25805

1.1.2: Just restore with iTunes.
    1.1.1: Just restore with iTunes.

Once its restore to a Fresh 1.1.1 goto http://jailbreakme.com on the iPod Touch, and install appsnapp. When its finished and you now have Installer. Open Installer and install BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH. Once installed reboot the iPod before you plug it up to the computer.

HAVE YOU PURCHASED THE APPS!!!

If you have purchased the extra apps you NEED to jailbreak from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 then go to 1.1.3 with ibrickr. When Ibrickr gets done later, iTunes will then install the apps and you dont need to worry about the springboard stuff, in this thread: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29516

IF YOU DID PURCHASE AND DIDNT GO FROM A 1.1.1 JB TO A 1.1.2 JB:
    When try going from 1.1.1 straight to 1.1.3 Itunes throws an error when trying to sync the apps. (confirmed by plasma). And supposedly none of your purchased stuff will work.

If you didnt purchase the apps just stay at 1.1.1. and make sure you follow the steps after iBrickr.

If you need to jailbreak up to 1.1.2 do so by following this thread: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8678

Now time to get to the easy part. iBrickr

For some reason people needed the 1.1.3_update_image.bin
    I made a ******* for this a while ago. If you need it goto pirate bay and search for iptf and you should find what your looking for.

Then go download the iBrickr Special 1.1.3 jailbreak edition to your Windows computer and unzip the archive.

Plug your iPod into the USB port and run iBrickr.exe. Here's what you'll see:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Click that big "Check my phone!" button (all of Nate True's buttons are big) and if you're all prepared (that is, if you're running a jailbroken 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 iPhone), you should see this screen:

You've come this far, so go ahead and click "Do it!"

iBrickr will download the jailbreak patch. It should only take a few seconds before you see:

Attached Files:

2. iatealitlebabie

If you've already downloaded the firmware through iTunes or the ******* I told you about in the beginning, or if you need a copy PM and I have a [PIRACY.mu] link I could share with you also, Then you want to point iBrickr to that image, click the Find 1.1.3 on disk button. It's probably easier to just click the Download it from Apple button (ITS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO!!!).

This download will take a few minutes because it's a hefty image. Get yourself a drink of water, and when you get back you'll see this:

I told you above that you'd need all of this, so hopefully you took my suggestions seriously and you're ready to click the big old Do you have to ask? button. iBrickr will go through the extraction, decryption, decompressing, and patching process on this new firmware on your desktop, and you'll see those steps over the next few minutes (as seen in the next four screenshots).
  3. iatealitlebabie

4. iatealitlebabie

Go get yourself a much bigger glass of water this time, as this step could take up to 10 minutes or so. When it's done, you'll see this:

Again, as I said above, you'll need 300MB of free space on your phone. I trust you have this, so keep your iPhone plugged in and click "Ready to go!"

Heres a tip from ipodtouch1234:
    Before going on check the ibrickr folder and make sure that the 113_upgrade_image.bin is ~300 megs. If its no you should check out his thread on what you need to do.

If it is the right size move on and click "Ready to go!"

This process is going to take even more time, so you should have plenty of time to relieve yourself of the water you drank already, fill up your cup once more, and maybe get one more bathroom trip in.

(Actually, it probably took just over 10 minutes on my computer.)

When that's done, you're almost done. As the next screenshot says, you now need to open Installer.app and download the 1.1.3 soft upgrade package (if you're doing this now, you can find it easily in the Recent packages).

Once that's patch is applied through Installer.app (again, this one will take several minutes), your iPhone will reboot and you'll be staring at a freshly upgraded and jailbroken iPod Touch running 1.1.3 firmware.

Now follow these next steps thanks to Tyr0 and his thread here.

If you know how to SSH into your iPod Touch your already a step ahead if not, goto http://code.google.com/p/iphonelist/ and download the iphonelist program. Make sure your iPod is plugged up to the computer and start iphonelist.

Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app

in there you will see the two files: M68AP.plist and N45AP.plist

Download those files to your computer. And rename them with each others name. M68AP.plist to N45AP.plist and vice versa. Put those files back into Springboard.app folder with iPhonelist. Reboot your iPod and you should now have the new apps and wiggling icons.

MAIL FIX TIME

Now your probably not happy with that yet either. So lets make sure the mail app works.
    Open installer and goto sources and add http://sleepers.net/iphonerepo to your sources then let it refresh and install 113mail fix when its done. If that doesn't work check out this thread: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29665

Now your probably not just happy with that. One of the first things your going to go download is Summerboard and Customize. They aren't going to install because you need to be on version 1.1.2 or 1.1.1 for it to work so lets do a lil work around so they install.

GETTING SUMMERBOARD AND CUSTOMIZE

You can do this two ways

ONE WAY:
    Since you already have iPhonelist open lets put it to work again. Its just as fast as Cuteftp or Putty. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/ and theres a file called SystemVersion.plist Open it with a text editor and change the version number at the bottom to 1.1.2. and save it. Then make sure you got the new file that says your version is 1.1.2 and go into Installer and install Summerboard and Customize as usual. Its only changing the icons. No wallpapers yet. No word yet on when or if its being worked on. Customize works for the most part too, just play around with it. BUT be patient, I'm sure updated apps are coming.

ANOTHER WAY:
    Goto into installer and install: mobilefinder & mobiletextedit
    Go into mobilefinder and goto settings and make sure:
    Show Hidden Files is ON
    Show ".." Entry is ON
    Executable Launch is ON
    System File Access is ON

Then touch Finder again and click the ".." at the top til it wont go up anymore.
    then browse to /System/Library/CoreServices/ in there you should see a file named SystemVersion.plist. Touch it, i know you want to. It should open with mobiletextedit...
    at the bottom you should see the 1.1.3 change it to 1.1.2 and then touch save and then the home button and go back into installer and Install Customize and Summerboard as usual.

Now you can change the No Service up in the top left with customize if you goto Springboard strings.

REMOVE THE SOFTUPGRADE MANUALLY

If you get back into iTunes later and see that its taking up like 300mb in other use the app "1.1.3 Soft Upg. Cleaner" or if you dont see it use iphonelist again and navigate to /var/root/Media/ and if you see a folder called softupgrade just delete it and you will have all that free space back.

FREE UP SPACE LIKE BOSSTOOL

Speaking of freeing space up lets do what Boss Tool does ourselves or if you cant get it to work try this out. By default all applications are installed in /Applications on a separate volume that doesn't have a lot of space. Therefore we want to move everything to the volume used for media.

Open up Termvt-100 and type the bold commands:
    First Create a new applications directory:

mkdir /private/var/Applications

Create a symbolic link to the new directory containing all your apps where the original applications directory used to reside:

ln -s /private/var/Applications /Applications

Move everything in /Applications to the newly created directory:

mv /Applications/ /private/var/Applications

IF YOU GET AN ERROR TRY

cp -R /Applications/* /private/var/Applications

Delete your Applications_back folder:

rm -rf /Applications/

And now you should be able to install more than enough apps without getting a warning.

CONCLUSION

IF YOU DIDNT BUY THE APPS YOU NEED TO:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29516 follow what this thread says to make the touch stop thinking its a phone. And your all set.

This should get you on your feet and on your way to installing apps without any trouble. Check this thread here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29215 for apps that are working and those that are not. If you wanna see a good video on this stuff, look at this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=W7uRNgET9KQ

Remember threads are stickied for a reason. And Please search search search! ALot of this stuff has been answered.
  5. iatealitlebabie

Im going to save this incase I wanna add 4 more pictures. sorry mods.
  6. Pezmaster1

Pezmaster1 New Member

i love you ,
    lol
    ive been waiting for this becaus etheres so many different bits and peices to do it all over this part of the forum.
    get this stickied?

thnx alot
  7. iatealitlebabie

I just hopes this clears up some confusion. This method should get you to the point where you just add stuff your missing with installer. Ive done this numerous times and its worked everytime without a hitch.
  8. xlRiot

xlRiot Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    this truly is the "Mother of all iBrickr threads" great job!
    i think this should be stickied definitely!

one question,
    when moving the /applications portion to /private/var/Applications, i highlighted the apps like you said and tried to do it again, but all i get is

any ideas?
  9. andree

andree New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Definetly helped out! It's still quite a lot of stuff to, as i dont have a wifi connectoin at home (I hate talktalk!!grrr!), but I'll work some way out, thx again!
  10. iatealitlebabie

Did you do it in termvt-100? it should of worked fine.