Mossberg talks with Jobs about the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tsubame, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Tsubame

Tsubame New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Managed to get an edited versions of a post-show conference between Mossberg and Jobs, and you can hear some very interesting info about the iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWQBUtYpwns

Highlights:

"Books will cost the same" (between the amazon store and the iBookstore). He very tactfully worded that, so either amazon costs are going up, or iBookstore will drive the prices down.

"A bit more than 10 hours reading" that's...not bad. I expected the 10 hrs to be basically idling with the screen on. Over 10 (I guess 11 at the most) while reading isn't bad, will have to see how much I use it in a standard work day to see how it holds up.

"It gets 140 hours of music playback" Nobody is going to use it as an iPod really, but that's great battery life on the music player (I presume with the screen off). That could be amazing in certain scenarios, like on the plane or using it as a jukebox while you work around a centralized location. No device gets that kinda battery life playing back music, so that could be pretty awesome.

Full Word compatibility on Pages - We guessed at this, but it's confirmed. Can open and export word documents.

I wish I were Mossberg, he always gets to chat with Jobs.
  2. Alpacaman

Alpacaman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'd take the battery life with a grain of salt, especially for the reading one. I wonder what the screen brightness was?

Kinda OT: Does anyone know if the iBookstore will have works under creative commons on it?
  3. Tsubame

Tsubame New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, even if the iPad is 70 hrs of music life (50% of what he says), that's pretty great. Again, shame it isn't really a great feature for the iPad, but it has its uses in places. I am sure that is with the display off.

I think it shows that almost all the battery is going into the display. I'm curious about the brightness too, I really hope reviewers get some advanced copies soon (Mossberg almost certainly will) so we can get a good grasp of the battery life.

Not sure, I think we know almost nothing except that it uses ePub format, no idea about getting other works on it. I would think that, if they want to compete with Amazon, they're going to want to get everything they can in there. I'd especially like to see self-publishing (even if it has to go through app store's awful approval process, it's a start).