More Unibody MacBook Questions...

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Awesome, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have the MacBook Aluminum 2.0GHz with the standard 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, and the Nvidia GeForce 9400M graphics card. How much better is the 13" MacBook pros in terms of speed? If i upgrade the RAM to 6GB will it speed it up a lot more or how much? And also, how are my specs compared to new laptops in general?

Thanks,

Awesome
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Not much different. The new low end 13"er is 2.26GHz you will not notice that much of a difference in speed. The only real difference is an SD slot and a better screen.... and price.

As for memory/ram it depends on what you use your computer for. If your a heavy PS user or edit movies, music, photos a lot then more memory will speed it up. If you use it to surf the net and watch movies, light photo editing with iphotos that kind of stuff then you probably will not notice a difference.

If you want noticable speed increase throw an SSD in it. It will scream.
  3. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Would Need For Speed Carbon on a 24" Apple Cinema display run noticeably faster if i had 6GB of RAM vs. 4GB?
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Probably not. 4GB should be fine. Actually 2GB is probably fine, the GPU shares 256MB of that 2GB and I doubt the game uses more than a GB so you should be fine.

Doom3 and Flatout2 run perfect on my Macbook. I have the 2.4GHz 13" with 4GB of memory and they ran fine with only 2GB before I upgraded it.
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Not unless you want to run a small webserver while you play...

Please Register or Log in to view images

4 GB will more than suffice.
  6. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Great! The cheapest i have seen here for a 24" LED Apple Cinema Display is here at apple refurb for $600, can i get a cheaper one elsewhere?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Since you have a faster CPU will the display frame rate be better? How much faster is it? Sorry for all the questions imma n00b.

7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    That's probably the cheapest price you'll get. However, dead pixels really stand out on that monitor. (I returned mine twice due to slight imperfections; can't justify nearly a grand on a monitor if it isn't perfect...)

It is a stunning monitor, though, aesthetically and in terms of performance.
  8. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Nope. Frame rate is set be the GPU and we both have the same. No difference at all. The NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is more than enough for most games.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    You could get a decent LCD HDTV for that price with VGA, DVI, even mini DVI. Like 40-47" I'm using a 37" myself

Upgrading to a 50" soon.
  9. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The 24" LED Cinema Display is pretty cool, but IMO, almost 1000 USD is exorbitant. For a similar price, I'd think that you can get a decent sized HDTV that you can hook up via a HDMI to Mini-displayport adaptor.