More Free Space = Happier iPoT

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FluxBox, Dec 29, 2007.

1. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

When I first got my iPoT, on Christmas morning, I plugged it immediately into my computer and put all 11gb of music and 2 gb of videos onto it. It was ALMOST full. And then I jailbroke it, and it had barely any space left after installing apps (32 of them total, 2 springboard pages with skip last row OFF).

So, it was almost full. And I noticed a dramatic slowing of the speed of my iPoT. Whenever I'd flick over to a new page of apps, it would kind of go laggishly.

So, I deleted about 3 gb of unneeded music & 1gb of videos. This now equals out to:
    [ Audio: 8.97GB | Video: 1.02GB | Photos: 49.1MB | Other: 130.1MB | Free Space: 4.67GB ]

After I deleted all of it and freed up this much space, the Touch runs MUCH faster. TO switch between application pages is seamless now, and smooth. As is flicking down my pages of music and photos. Everything just runs faster.

So has anyone else noticed this; that more free space equals a happier iPod Touch and also results in faster speeds?

I also noticed that it increases the speed in which my iPoT loads webpages, and even pages in Installer!

Anyone else notice this?
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I haven't noticed any difference. I'm running ~1gb free space and it still seems quite snappy.
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Probably need some free space for the applications to cache data. Without the free space, it probably has to delete some of the cache as it switches between active applications. Would be nice if we could determine the "optimium" free space required...
  4. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

But, try deleting some stuff (or just unchecking some music, videos, etc, I'm not suggesting you delete your files) and test the speed then. I found that it works at about ~60%++ faster than with low disk space.

EDIT:
    And also, before I deleted all the stuff, my slider on the lock screen wouldn't slide smoothly. Kinda like when you boot up Windows Vista and you have to wait before you click the Password, because it's like frozen a little.
    Eh, I don't know how to explain it.
    It works now, though.

(I removed my other post, it was doubleposting)
  5. schnikelfritz576

schnikelfritz576 New Member

i upgraded to 1.1.2 and everything seems to be running faster but ya when i add more music, video etc. it definitely slows my ipod down