Moo Beer / Golf updates hold no surprises

Discussion in 'iPhysics [old jailbreak version]' started by MooTheCow, Dec 21, 2007.

1. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

Just a courtesy note to say that I've had to make an update to my Golf game as the latest iPhysics made the first few levels unplayable. I've also modified the shininess of the glass in Moo Beer as requested, and stopped the beer rotating back into the glass at the end.

Both updates have _zero_ new stuff in them, so don't waste time looking for it. It's still worth updating if you plan to use those levels. Updates should appear on the installer in the next day or two.

As an aside, perhaps r4m0n could dedicate a page of his wiki to each levelpack and we could then add details of changes? I'd update my Crayongolf blog page, but I fear no one bothered looking there.
  2. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Thanks Moo.

I think it would be really cool if r4m0n could write something for your Crayon Golf, so that we could get a tally of the amount of strokes taken for the whole game. Would be more like golf that way.
  3. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

Yeah, but I'm asking him for enough stuff as it is!

Please Register or Log in to view images

I think a generally-useful-to-all-of-us feature would be for each level to have a timer that we can retrieve and display in some way. I remember talk of getting scored on how few polys the user had to create to finish the level. That would work here too.

Anyway, I don't know about you, but once I've managed to get a levelpack to a state worth publishing, I've playtested it so much that I'm sick of the sight of it, so I don't relish making future updates to Golf!
  4. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I think timers and points are coming soon, but I am the same as you, I am asking r4m0n for too much all the time

I also get sick of seeing my own levelpacks

That's why it is nice to have other level makers like yourself. I wish others would jump on board and start making some more stuff. I think Mindfeild is working on some things, but he is busy. Anyways, do you have anything else on the go? I would like to see you make something with the motors and buttons. I like your artistic style that you used in Crayon Golf, and I can't wait for more things from you.....
  5. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

Yeah, well like yourself its the novelty of the level design that's the fun bit. I've done the whole "get a ball to a target by drawing shapes" thing now. And we're such a small community that people don't seem to want to tread on each other's toes when it comes to levelpack design (which is actually quite nice, particularly when you consider how easy it is to "borrow" from someone's plist). So I missed the Accelerometer Level bandwagon (by the way, whenever I do a vanity Google search for "iPhysics Golf" I get loads of results with the phrase "from simple puzzles & mazes to steering the fish & golf"!) and I'd love to do some sort of ragdoll thing, but maybe in a month or two if SeBsZ doesn't do any more with his.

Currently I'm playing with the new motors and triggers, which means making quite novel games, but also being a bit hampered finding things you can't do yet and waiting for updates! I'm sure you know where I'm coming from.

So I've got a scrolling driving game which I could not resist calling "Moo-N-Patrol"

So far I have a title screen with some rotating text

And the start of a level

The unique selling point is that the ground is a giant, slowly rotating polygon, and the moon buggy (currently r4m0n's car till I get round to changing it) is driving at the same speed that the world rotates, so it stays in the centre of the screen - at least, till it gets to a steep hill. There are trigger buttons to speed up and slow down the car so you can jump over the craters on the ground. And I can have other objects rotating at different speeds round the moon, either as eye-candy, or as obstacles to avoid. As long as everyone turns a blind eye to the idea of the Moon having asteroids.

The tricky aspect is designing a level around the outside of a giant circle, and sorry SebsZ but your level editor just wasn't enough. So I had to write a quick Java app to let me load in huge images, click around them, and dump out the coords in "ipod friendly" format.

I just wanted to do something different really.

Anyway, in accordance with iPhysics Etiquette Ruling, I now pronounce all "Rotating World Driving Space Games" to be off-limits! HA!

6. Rawd

Rawd New Member

What a brilliant idea! How large can you actually go off screen? What are the coordinates of the furthest point?

okay so I won't take the "Rotating World Driving Space Games" idea. But what about "Rotating World Flying space game?" lol..... just kidding by the way...

Also, Moon Patrol was my 2nd favorite game in the arcade as a kid. Marble Madness being number #1 of course!

"Moo: Thinking outside the widescreen"
  7. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

The technicalities so far:-

1) There seems to be a bug with large shapes with lots of points. I can only have my "moon" being 8 points before weird things start happening, and 36 points just wouldn't even display. r4m0n may be able to fix that. For now I am tacking additional shapes as geographical features onto the moon.

2) Object culling. The new update allowing you to resize the cull box was for me. Before that any object fully outside the cull box (just outside the screen) got removed.

3) "World" size. Currently (and randomly, really) the world is 1900x1900 pixels, with the ipod screen being top centre. I don't think there's a limit to how big it could get, other than (I'm guessing) numeric overflow in the code.

4) Number of objects. All objects within the no-cull zone have full physics. So I guess with large maps it might start slowing down.

That's about it.

I was actually planning to have a "space" level in the game, where instead of using buttons to accelerate and decelerate via the engine in the wheel, you attach the sprite to a prismatic joint and move up and down. The level rotates as usual, and you have to avoid things stuck on the backdrop.

But, you know, if I started copyrighting "scrolling" in iPhysics then I'd be as bad as Atari allegedly patenting sprites.

So please feel free to use the concept.
  8. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Cool. Sounds neat. I'll wait until you are finished yours, and then I'll copy and paste it... swap the buggy out for a wagon, and call it my own. Thanks!

1900x1900.....cool.
  9. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

Surely a pirate ship would be more fitting. Yarrrr!