Review Monster Pinball

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Education, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Monster Pinball

Please Register or Log in to view images

Category: Games
    Released: May 29, 2009
    Version: 1.0
    Size: 10.4MB
    Developer: Hamish Cooper
    Home Page: http://iphone.matmi.com/monsterpinball/

What is Monster Pinball?
    Monster Pinball may look like an ordinary pinball game but as the old saying goes, looks may be deceiving. Not only is Monster Pinball the most unique pinball game in the app store, it has many great features any pinball fan will love. Monster Pinball has taken pinball to the next level and is surely going to become a huge hit for iPhone gaming.

Interface
    When you first open this app, you are greeted with 3 brightly colored buttons, Play, Help and Scores. Tapping Play will obviously start the game. Tapping help will take you to the most amazing help screen I have ever seen on an iPhone app. Not only does it teach you the controls, but it also has an animated finger that demonstrates the usage of the controls. Scores will show you your own highscores and online ones.

Gameplay
    Monster Pinball has the most unique gameplay compared to all the other pinball games I have played. Every time you hit the ball, the possibilities are endless. You don't know where the ball may end up. Hitting one of the monsters? Rebounding around the table for minutes? Or even ending up down the hole, making you lose the game. That's just the amazing thing about pinball, but Monster Pinball takes it to the next level. The game features 6 different interconnected pinball tables, all with its own theme and features. Each and every table is based on one of the monsters and all of them consist of different playing mechanisms. There are 4 paddles in some tables that you get to control and you get 3 balls before it's game over. If you have ever played a pinball game, overall the gameplay is the much the same but different in a good way. Having 6 different tables, the game gives you a new feel every time you enter a new table, keeping you entertained and filled with enjoyment. The game allows you to pause and resume at any point given, even after closing the app, you just have to reopen the game and it will ask if you want to continue from the last paused game. This allows you to play at small breaks and intervals, making it really convenient. Obviously, the goal of the game is to keep the ball from falling down the hole and get the highest score. There's not much point to the game other than that, except for trying to get the ball into certain places to get some bonuses. Another way of getting bonuses is by getting a hotball which doubles your scores.

Controls
    The controls are absolutely fabulous and is definitely well made. Not only is it easy to use but it makes playing the game really convenient. Tapping on the two buttons on the bottom will swing the paddles and in most tables, you get to control 4 paddles. Sliding your finger down the screen will plunge the ball up from the starting area. You can easily tap the top left corner to pause the game, or just press the home button to force quit which still allows you to resume the game after reopening the app. Overall, the controls are excellent and really simple to use, especially for a pinball game.

Visuals
    Monster Pinball has the most amazing visuals on an iPhone app I have ever seen. It may not have 3D models and environments like Real Racing does, but with the color, design, effects, and animations in this game, it's just stunning. All 6 of the interconnected tables are nicely designed and look amazing. All of the 6 interconnected tables have their own theme based on a monster as I said before. There are effects for all the areas you hit to get points and they just look plain awesome. There are some great animations with the pinball tables and one the best thing about Monster Pinball is the physics. For a pinball game to be good, the physics of the ball needs to be flawless and running at a good speed. The creators of Monster Pinball did an exceptional job at accomplishing this and I personally think it's much better than most of the other pinball games out there.

Audio
    One thing I noticed immediately when I opened the app was the background music on the loading screen. It's always nice to have some music to go along with the loading, however there is a down side and that is that there isn't any background music on the menus. As I said before, there are some nice visual effects and of course there are some nice sound effects to go along with it. The sound effects really help bring the game to life and helps the visual effects look more realistic. There isn't any music while playing but if there was that would interfere with the sound effects wouldn't it?

Replay Value
    Monster Pinball is a really fun game that anyone of any age would love playing. There is a total of 6 different interconnected tables so you don't get bored playing on the same table all the time. It his highly addictive with the unique features and bonuses. There are also global high scores which keep you playing for the number 1 spot. However, the game will get repetitive over time since it is just a pinball game which normally doesn't give anything new to their players. Maybe the developers could add unlockable tables in an update to solve this problem.

Attached Files:

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wicked review Education! I love this game!
  3. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Wow! Awesome review!

I <3 this app. Been playing it non stop since the dev gave out some codes awhile back.
  4. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks guys. I totally agree with iamkewl. Monster Pinball is really addictive and it is worth trying.
  5. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Very good review, haven't played it myself, I no likey pinball.
  6. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Epic review! I looovveeee pinball <3