Mods are Hypocrites

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by FunkyMonkey, Apr 2, 2008.

1. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey Banned

Yesterday, I recieved an Infraction for putting files from my iPod on the internet that I had no permission to do. They were some Framework files, that I guess Apple owns, so it is illegal for me to upload them.

Ok, my question is: Look at the front page of this site. What is the article featured there? Someone who illegally downloaded Firmware 2.0, decrypted it, and found some things in it.

Why is he being rewarded when I was punished for the same thing?

I'm not just doing this for myself. I'm poining out the fact that the mods need to be more consistent with how they deal with the forum rules.

EDIT: I guess they wouldn't be hypocrites, more like people being unfair.
  2. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

he wasnt dispensing the files now was he?
  3. Hiratai

Hiratai Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    He didn't uplaod them where as - you did.
  4. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey Banned

OK, I understand your points. However, I was punished for doing something illegal. He has done something illegal too.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The problem is that you were distributing the files (called "pirating"). The cat who wrote the story on the front page wasn't distributing anything. Had he been distributing ("pirating"), I would personally delete that thread.
    1 person likes this.
  6. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey Banned

Ok, I think I understand now. We both did something illegal. But I commited a more serious infraction of the law therefore I was punished.
  7. donkeykong

donkeykong Banned

Yeah. Exactly.
  8. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Those files are called WAREZ.
    WAREZ are not good things!
    It is against forum rules to post them, so a mod has the right to infract you if you do post that.

The poster of that specific author, VirtualBall, wasn't posting a link to the firmware, or some thing he doesn't own. Not WAREZ! YAY!!!

It doesn't mean sh** on this forum, [pardon my french] if VirtualBall posted what he found. He didn't post a link/break forum rules.
  9. micaheljcaboose

micaheljcaboose Well-Known Member

He isn't give people files that are copyrighted is he? He is just saying what he found on a file that MAY have been pirated. Not everyone gets it illegally. Some people actually got it from apple.
  10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

We can't punish him if he downloaded and decrypted a firmware OUTSIDE of this forum (if he did, how do you knowq he isn't a BETA tester? He did port Sand.app). If he posted the link to the firmware, or its decryption key, then he would have been infracted.

If you don't like the rules, there are other forums you can frequent.