Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus [REVIEW]

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by iPwn, Oct 7, 2010.

1. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus REVIEW

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/modern-combat-2-black-pegasus/id394443824?mt=8

This is my first review, so don’t criticize me too much lol. SCREENSHOTS IN MY POST JUST SCROLL!!!
    Summary: This game is Gameloft’s new and improved sequel to the year-old “Modern Combat: Sandstorm”. This new addition to the series brings numerous new features, such as:
    • Intelligent AI
    • 10-Play Online and Local Multiplayer w./ Ranking, Weapon unlocks, and attachments.
    • Longer, more in-depth campaign, continued where the last game left off.
    • (This game is basically a fake version of Modern Warfare 2)
    • Better graphics, blur effect, better lighting on higher end devices.
    • More weapons, with attachments like the red dot sight and grenade launcher.
    • Multiplayer game modes like Capture the Flag and Team Deathmatch.

Presentation & Graphics

The menus of this game are very polished and the UI is easy to use and it looks great. The graphics, are great for older 2nd generation devices. On my 3rd generation iPod touch, the frame rate is silky-smooth at almost 60 FPS. Unfortunately, however, the game does not push newer hardware to its limits using OpenGL 2.0 graphics and the quad-core GPU (only on 3rd/4th gen iDevices). Many effects such as anti-aliasing, HDR, anisotropic filtering, dynamic lighting, shadows, and bump textures could be added to this game, but are not present. But on the whole, the graphics are much better than the predecessor, and there are better physics, a nice blur effect while running and shooting, and weapons that reflect the surrounding lighting. Character animations and cut scenes look great.

SCORE: [3/5]

Audio

There is decent in-game music, although, as in most Gameloft games, you can create your own in-game playlist from your music collection. This game improves on the voice acting, which was a major problem with the original Modern Combat. Now your fellow soldiers are always talking, making it a much better combat experience, and the voices are more “normal” sounding, not robotic.

SCORE: [5/5]

Realism and Features

The realism in this game is very impressive for an iPhone game. Not only do guns have realistic recoil now, but the AI are intelligent. In the predecessor, the AI just stood there and died, but now the AI will try to flank you, they will roll to avoid your sight, duck behind barriers and walls, and move from place to place. Combined with the recoil, this makes aiming and killing much more challenging, but more fun and realistic nevertheless. Unfortunately, Gameloft still uses the no-physics engine as in all of its games and the reload animation is too quick and not detailed at all.

However, the new features are great. The attachments on the 15 available weapons add a whole new level of realism and combat depth. Also, the 10 player online is unbelievable. Who would have thought that an iPhone could handle 5 vs. 5 team deathmatch? The new game modes and 72-level ranking in multiplayer are just like Call of Duty. You unlock primary and secondary weapons as well as a “skill”.

SCORE: [4/5]

Replay Value

I’m not very far into the campaign, so I can’t say much about this, but the multi-mode ranked 10 player multiplayer should ensure that this game remains playable and fun for a very long time.

SCORE: [4/5]

Gameplay

The gameplay is great. The campaign is great so far and the multiplayer is intense. You can get into an epic team battle where everyone is shooting at each other in one area. The XP and unlocks are just extra features that make it last longer. It’s similar to MW2 multiplayer, just without the campers. And I haven’t found any noob tubers yet. There are 15 usable weapons including the AK-47, M-16, RPG-7, Duragnov, Uzi, and MAC11. Now it isn’t a game comparable to $60 MW2, but it is great for the price and is a major improvement over Sandstorm, which is still a good game.

Value for Money

As I said before, it isn’t comparable to MW2, but at $6.99, who can complain? Get it, NOW!

OVERALL SCORE: [4.4/5] (88%)

SCREENSHOTS ARE ATTACHED IN MY POST. JUST SCROLL DOWN!!.

Attached Files:

2. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I got this yesterday, but haven't had time to play. nice review.
  3. Dabone

Dabone Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I hate how gameloft only pushes the boundaries of all the idevices instead of adding new features to capable devices. The only one is retina display support
  4. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Screenshots are here:

Attached Files:

5. Fishman9809

Fishman9809 Active Member

graphics are far better on retina. just pointing that out to those who didn't notice they're from a 3g iPT

EDIT: But pretty good review.
  6. Psoul

Psoul Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Lol now i wish i have a 4G.

But nice review! I am looking forward of playing it.
  7. TXF001

TXF001 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice review, definitely makes me want to get it..

One question though. About online..is it online with random people/ matchmaking...or is it online with friends only?
  8. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I hope the story line isn't the same as Call of Duty again. I was disappointed with the ending being the same...
  9. Psoul

Psoul Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You have to register a account on gameloft. Then you can play with other players thats on Gameloft live too. You also can play with your friends using local wi-fi and bluetooth. (i think)
  10. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    No this isn't about some Russian maniac nuking every country and attacking the US and the US commander kills you to get all of the credit.

This is a continued version of MC1 and you try to take out the leftovers of Abu Bahaa's terrorist organization. That leads you through South America, Russia, and the Middle East.