MobileSubstrate installed, iPod won't boot.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by magical_walrus, Aug 22, 2009.

1. magical_walrus

magical_walrus New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just upgraded my iPod Touch 2G to 3.0 & jailbroke it with QuickFreedom 2.0 beta, so I started to install some essential apps like OpenSSH, MobileSubstrate, and SBSettings. After the mandatory respring that installing MobileSubstrate calls for, the device goes into an infinite respring loading loop. I tried restarting the device, but now it goes into an infinite boot/startup screen. I tried SSHing into my ipod to remove MobileSubstrate, but it seems the apt-get command was 'not found.' I was only able to fix this by restoring to a unmodified 3.0 firmware and re-jailbreaking. MobileSubstrate has never had any problems for me on 2.2.1, but now when I try to get my 3.0 device customized and working the way I like it, it won't boot. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    -magical_walrus
  2. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    You do know that quickfreedom is for 2.2.x right? You need to restore to clean firmware then re jailbreak with redsnow.

Try to enter DFU.
  3. magical_walrus

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    QuickFreedom 2.0 is for jailbreaking OS 3.0, and it's worked for many people. The actual jailbreaking process worked for me, but MobileSubstrate won't.
  4. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Ok either way I would still rather use the dev-teams tool before i would use one from here. Use redsnow!
  5. ipodtouchpwnd69

ipodtouchpwnd69 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    notice: Quickfreedom 2.0 BETA. Hence the term beta. Use redsn0w until l quickfreedom gets out of beta or fixes the glitch in a newer beta.
  6. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Redsn0w has a UI now anyway....

and its ah ell of a lot quicker
  7. ipodtouchpwnd69

ipodtouchpwnd69 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    oh yeah redsn0w only takes a couple minutes. quickfreedom you have to wait for it to create the firmware file then you have to apply patches and then restore. i used it on 2.2.1 when redsn0w wasn't available.
  8. magical_walrus

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'll try using redsn0w. But in QuickFreedom 2.0 you don't even need to make a new IPSW, you just need to put it in DFU mode and let it do it's thing. It also uses redsn0w in the jailbreaking process.

Edit: It worked! Thanks guys!

Edit again: I just tried installing Stack, and it caused an identical problem. I restored and re-jailbroke, then installed APT 0.6 transitional though cydia to see if I could SSH into my device to remove packages like stack. Whenever I would try to remove any cydia package with "apt-get remove," it says Package not found. Can someone tell me how I can fix that? (I also want to be able to fall back on apt-get if Cydia stops working -- and it has before)