MobileMe - how to push Birthdays?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by ficho, Jul 12, 2008.

1. ficho

ficho New Member

This is a question for Mac MobileMe users since it's about iCal's and Address Book's special calendar.

So, when you check the checkbox next to "Show Birthday Calendar" in iCal's preferences, it shows a new read-only calendar with all the birthdays from your Address Book contacts in it. Now you can get that same calendar on me.com/calendar in a similar way, by enabling it in it's preferences. The problem is...how to push this to iPod touch?

Since it's not really treated as a calendar, but rather just calendar subscription, and it looks like Apple forgot to add this feature because all my calendars are pushing from and to my touch, but this one is nowhere to be found.

Am I missing something, or?

Until we find real solution to this, or Apple fixes it, here is a workaround:
    1. publish the Birthdays calendar to MobileMe (right-click on it...)
    2. go to published url and download calendar (link on the bottom left)
    3. open the downloaded file (in iCal ofcourse)
    4. create a new calendar from it and wait for it to get pushed

Only problem is you have to repeat all steps with every change, but it's not like you change people's birthays all the time

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    While I don't know anything about this i would like to ask you how your experience is with MobileMe (with the exception of pushing birthdays of course). I took a quick gander at the website and watched the video and must say it sounds very promising and the price isn't too bad either! (just under $9 a month) I'm really considering getting it.
  3. ficho

ficho New Member

Well you can get the free 60 day trial...

But I'm really disappointed with what I got in past 24 hours. It's not just the birthdays calendar that doesn't work... Nothing works most of the time. I got first mail pushed after 3 hours and 10 minutes!!! Around 5-6 am CET (about 5-6 hours ago) everything was working, but it was still kinda lagy. Then I went to sleep and I just woke up so I haven't tested anything yet, don't wanna start my day with frustration

I don't think Apple will be getting those $99 from me. Unless it will work without a single error or a second of lag next 59 days. It is really cool like it looks in the video, but I expect something I pay for to have 99.99%+ uptime and to work properly.

Oh, did I mention me.com webapp is not working properly in Apple's own Safari??
  4. Johnny Quest

Johnny Quest Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    How come I update my calendar and when I go to iTunes to sync and when its done I go to my ipod touch I don't see any of my calendar. what can I be doing wrong? I'm on Vista, using either Outlook or Windows calendar.
  5. Infernal

Infernal New Member

I dont see the point of push crap.
    Seriously its not like my calendar will sync on my pc without me knowing..

The only big plus is the mail sound so you dont have to open the app to know about mail.
  6. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How disheartenig to hear

it looked and sounds so cool in the overview video. I was going to try to trial but decided to check out the discussions first and there seemed to be a lot of people having poblems too I backed out of the trial because I saw that some people were being charged. Hopefully this all just will stablize until then I guess I'm going to have to wait.