MobileMe alternatives

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bri1232001, Nov 30, 2009.

1. bri1232001

bri1232001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So my mobileme however long it was free trial is coming to an end and I don't want to spend 100 dollars for a service I barely use. Sure find my iphone and lockout are novel at best features...but what I really need is the contact syncing.

MobileMe does a great job of syncing my contacts as I change them on my phone. This way if I restore to a blank iphone, lose mine, whatever, there are copies of the contacts ready to be put back on the phone.

So is there anyways I can accompish this cloud contact syncing without using mobileme that you guys know of?

thanks, brian
  2. Octizzle

Octizzle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i really have no idea but i think microsoft exchange is like mobileme for microsoft
    i'm not totally sure though
  3. macfanboy

macfanboy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  4. richardarkless

richardarkless Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    google sync

I use google sync to push my calendar, contacts and emails, but it doesnt do the other features that mobile me has
  5. bri1232001

bri1232001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ah my google contacts are so messy. There's a lot of people I email that I dont want in my phone book. Is there a way i can wipe them or keep them separate and then sync my existing iphone contacts up to google?
  6. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I've been thinking of getting MobileMe. I'm sure I'd use the iDisk and contact sync a lot. And I use iWork.com Beta heavily, which is supposed to be merged into MobileMe sometime in the future.
  7. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'm also thinking about MobileMe. I may ask for it for Christmas ($65 off Amazon).

I know I'd only use Contact Syncing and Find My iPhone, though.....
    I might use the iDisk for some pictures and files. but probably not as much as it's meant for.

I'm just worried about somebody stealing my iPhone.
  8. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Google Sync.
  9. bri1232001

bri1232001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ok so for anyone still listening.

I use drop box for file sharing and cloud storage. Great free service.

Google I use for email and calendar syncing to/from the cloud through microsoft exchange.

Lastly I have found a service for contact sync. Funambol. There is a free app that syncs contacts when you run it (fine by me I only need to do it once every few months) and a webservice with a decent contact editing and backup.

I'm not paying apple another 100 money units. I already deeply regret buying applecare and the iphone plan is hemorrhaging my wallet.