MobileFinder ALTERNATIVE! -Discover- ALOT BETTER! -hack/tweak- (FREE!)

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by itouchnathan, Oct 20, 2008.

1. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    This is EVERYTHING you need to do, except instead of MobileFinder.app, it is Discover.app!

Discover.app lets you view these things via your Computer!

10/10 Application, ITS FREE FROM APPSTORE!
    MobileStudio still wins D: xD
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

From what I can tell, this doesn't let you edit text files the way MobileFinder does, it's ad-supported (unlike MobileFinder, which won't nag a person with ads when you open it up to view a file), and it needs you to download an extra client to transfer files to it when you could use FTP to do the same with MobileFinder or AirSharing.

Oh, and it doesn't appear to let you copy/paste files between directories the way MobileFinder (now MobileStudio, thanks to Apple insisting the 'Finder' in the name violated its trademark) does. This seems more to be an AirSharing replacement than a MobileStudio one.
  3. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    MobileStudio has an exceed of picture viewing so you cannot scroll in without the application stuffing up and sending you back to the download folder.
  4. Jarlath

As I said, this is more an AirSharing replacement than a MobileStudio one; the former is best for viewing whereas MobileStudio actually lets you do file operations. Personally, I think I'd rather stick with AirSharing if I was going to use something like this, as would anyone who got it when it was free during the promotional offer. Fewer admob-based headaches, no need for extra software to transfer files to it (WebDAV support is nice), and the only reason you needed to remove the limitations on MobileStudio was so it could DO those file management operations (copy, paste, delete).

With the software client that Discover.app has, why do you even NEED root access for this program? It doesn't perform any file management functions that I can see, and with that client you could just drop files into the Discover.app's Documents folder for easy viewing. This is certainly no MobileStudio replacement; an AirSharing one perhaps, if you're too lazy to use WebDAV or FTP, but not MobileStudio which actually copies/moves/deletes/renames files.

EDIT: MobileStudio 1.1.0 is out, and while they didn't put in WebDAV yet as promised, they indicated it FINALLY does full-screen viewing and promised better management of memory. And it still should do the other file management functions as well as zipping and unzipping archives.

Discover.app is still more an AirSharing substitute.
  5. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I have mobilestudio on my iPod when I go to Categories and "add apps"

What is it?
  6. Jarlath

That's MobileFinder. As I noted earlier in the thread, Apple made them change the name.