Mobile Terminal Guide

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by spinner, Jan 3, 2008.

1. spinner

spinner New Member

Hey peeps, you may know me from me and Raptor5150's ishare repo. Well, this post is to teach people how to properly use mobile terminal (and not just the words, the actual app!) Any one feel free to add to this guide. We need all the mobile term knowledge we can get. Here's what I got so far.

Pay attention to spelling and capitalization! Even if it doesn't look right, it's what mobile terminal will read so type everything exactly as you see it.

reeboot This command will reeboot your ipod

pwd enter this to change the password you use for ssh

unzip First dl UnZip.app from installer, the move it to /bin
    the create a folder called stuff or anything easy to remember. (create it in the main root) (search the forum for a better guide on this) Move the zip file to the folder you created and rename it so it doesn't have any caputals or symbols. Then enter unzip /stuff(or whatever you named the folder)/(name of
    zip file) and press return. So if I wanted to unzip Super-Mario-Brothers.zip, I would move it to my stuff folder (the one i made) and rename the file supermario.zip Then, in mobile terminal, I'd enter unzip /stuff/supermario.zip and press return.

To launch applications, first look in the folder of the app itself. You should see a file that has the name of the app without the .app at the end. Like in Customize.app thers a file called Customize. So to launch Customize from the terminal, I'd enter cd /Applications then press return. The cursor will move down one line. Then enter cd./Customize.app the cursor will move down again. Then enter ./Customize and it will launch Customize. Substitute the names od other apps to launch them
  2. spinner

spinner New Member

Oooooookayyyyyy, this really bombed.
  3. benn1230

benn1230 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    If you type "top" it shows you all of the processes running, but i normally use the Sysinfo app instead.
  4. spinner

spinner New Member

Thanks, someone finally posted!
  5. optimo

optimo New Member

I just noticed this was useful, but you should make the commands bold so they stick out.
    there plenty of guides for unix terminal here and there, but you could keep updating this one with ipod-freidnly commands
  6. onesilentlight

onesilentlight New Member

ls (as in LS but lower case) lists you the contents of the directory, sort of like dir command on DOS

cd ../../ (as in cd[space]../../) takes you to the top level directory.

cd directoryname will let you change directory (same as in DOS)
  7. taxbax

taxbax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i think it bombed becuz this isnt a very extensibe list, i would lve to find one, does anyone have a link? thanks
  8. Mario2iPTF

Mario2iPTF New Member

I foud there is "vi editor" implemented within Term-vt100. For those who dont know it-it is pretty famous text editor often used in unix/linux. to type vi and execute.
    You can type vi blabla.txt to edit blabla.txt file. if there is no such file, it waill create one.
    Now there is one problem with it. vi has a command mode and editing mode and you switch between them using Esc on your keyboard....

Well, it's really powerfull tool if you know how to use it.

One more command I know from linux is as follows ps -u root. This will show you processes run by root (or any other user if you change root for user name).

You can use bash-3.2 (depending on your version of Term-vt100 probably) by typing bash and exit from it typing exit.

Then kill command

Please Register or Log in to view images

Type kill 123 to get process no. 123 killed.
    You can find "pid" =process id (123 etc) using top. To exit from top you need to press q

Ciao
    Mario