Mobile Substrate (possibly) bricked my iTouch 1G 8gb - PLEASE, I NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by deleted account, Nov 17, 2009.

1. My iPod touch 1G maybe bricked

Please Register or Log in to view images

Last Tuesday I installed an update for Mobile Substrate and Cydia asked me to restart the device. I tapped on the field which said restart and my iPod's screen instantly shut down. Then the Apple logo (of Death, ha) appeared only to vanish after about 10 seconds. Reminded me of the ALOD-Mobile-Watchdog-mess a lot of us experienced on FW 2.0 - but this is different:

1. Apple logo disappears faster (10 seconds)
    2. Both iTunes and TouchCopy don not detect the device being connected to the PC
    3. I tried iTunes' diagnostic routines in order to test USB connection: As far as iTunes is concerned my iPod does no longer exist

I cannot put it into DFU (or even Recovery) mode either - my Home-Button is broken

Is their any chance of putting an iPod into DFU without using the manual way of pressing buttons? Is their a software that could initiate DFU via USB?
  2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

MobileSubstrate does not brick your iPod. It saves your iPod.

As for the DFU issue, i do not know of a way to get into DFU mode with software.
  3. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    doesnt ziphone and iliberty+ put ur ipod into recovery or dfu mode?
  4. xX_Dog_Food_Xx

xX_Dog_Food_Xx New Member

Device:
    iPad
    there are some recovery mode terminal based applications, but don't use them, because they screwed my ipod over on fw 2.2.1...
  5. What do you mean by "screwed over"? I thought that the iPod touch was not really brickable...?
  6. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It isn't. He means that he had to restore his iPod Touch (probably). And it isn't possible to brick an iPod or iPhone because of the amazing thing called...DFU MODE!
  7. So what's the big deal? My iPod doesn't even start anymore! And iTunes won't detect the device when it's plugged in via USB.

How could any software possibly screw my iPod over more than it already is?!?!

So, if I understood you correctly I can use iLiberty to put my iPod into Recovery Mode. Worst case would be that I had to restore my iPod with iTunes?

Right now the device is just dead in the water ...

8. xX_Dog_Food_Xx

xX_Dog_Food_Xx New Member

Device:
    iPad
    depends. if you can't turn it on, even after holding the power button, then something on Cydia was malicious enough to fry the insides of your iPod. what i would like to know is, what did you install on it b4 it fried?
  9. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    Home button broken? Why do you want to fix it? You go to music and... wait... Hey I can't get back to the home screen. Apple store to the rescue!
  10. As long as you've got a jailbroken device this is no problem at all - mQuickDo let's you use on-screen gestures to quit applications

But this doesn't matter anymore to me - I just got my diagnostics report from podmod.de:

Home button belongs to the iPod touch's mainboard. And since my iPod touch's mainboard has been declared as being "instable" (dropped it once

) the only way of fixing it would have resulted in a full replacement: Euro 169,00

So I decided to get a new model: My iPod touch 3G 64gb arrived yesterday, IT IS AWESOME!!! 8 times the storage, iPhone 3GS hardware - I'm living the dream

No more christmas presents for me though