mobile broadband Q

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sjleworthy, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    can someone quickly explain why a usb mobile broadband dongle for laptops, a usb to Apple cable and an ipod Touch wont give me mobile broadband on my ipod? or will it? because it's the dongle doing the work, not the computer device. i am unaware you need special hardware installed if you have a broadband dongle. my old laptop certainly hasn't got anything special in the hardware department yet i can get on the go broadband with my friend's dongle plugged into it.
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The iPod touch doesn't have the necessary drivers or software to utilise a dongle.
  3. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    as simple as that is it? i thought the wifi technology in the ipod would treat the dongle as a wifi router as usual. i'm presuming it's been tried and failed?
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I think it could be done. Someone could probably port drivers easily enough if needed and you had someything to connect the card via USB.

My question is who with card is going to want to serf the web on thier ipod rather then their laptop and why would they not have just got an iphone, cancel their deal with the card and teather the iphone to the laptop if needed?
  5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    depends on how portable and mobile the whole shooting match could be made. i hate my old laptop and would certainly much prefer to use my Touch. i'm quite happy paying $15 a month for a pay-as-you-go broadband dongle.
    besides, an iphone in the uk is just too damn expensive. at least £35 (40-50$) per month.

i'm sure there must be a way