Review MLB At Bat 2009

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by -tcq42-, Jun 1, 2009.

1. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

MLB At Bat 2009
    The Ultimate Application for a Baseball Fan

Introduction to MLB At Bat 2009
    MLB At Bat 2009 is the one stop shop for baseball fans looking to be updated on their favorite baseball team. It has a live pitch-by-pitch game tracker, as well as Gameday Audio, Gameday Video Highlights, Full Condensed Games about two hours after the conclusion of a game, standings, and full access to MLB.com videos. In other words, it is the ultimate sports application on the iPhone because it is the only sports application to give audio, video, and a live game tracker.

At Bat is just as good as the actual MLB Gameday on the computer.

Gameday Audio
    At Bat 2009 features almost everything a baseball fan would want except live game video (which would be a nice addition next year). With live game audio, you can follow all 30 teams of Major League Baseball. In addition, there are audio feeds for both the home and away teams, so you don't have to listen to the people who hate your team's guts while they're on the road. The audio usually starts about 5 minutes before the start of the game and ends whenever the flagship radio station decides to cut off the postgame show. There might be some dead silence in between innings as some stations might not air commercials on the feeds. Quality is not the greatest, but it's manageable with some headphones on the iPod touch. Since the iPod touch has really bad speakers, it's almost impossible to hear what's going on unless you're in a really quiet room. The iPhone fairs much better in the volume category as its speakers are much louder. Gameday audio is a great add-on to this year's MLB At Bat. It allows you to follow your team live anywhere you go and also allows you to tune in on your opponents during a pennant race. Plus, if you're a fantasy baseball player like me, you'll love that you can listen to every one of your player's at bats.

Shows Gameday Audio as well as the Scoreboard. Hey look! The White Sox won!

Gameday Video Highlights
    The guys over at MLB Advanced Media really outdid themselves when it came to video highlights this year. If you're not by the TV, these highlights are a life saver. Most highlights come about a half inning after it happens, which means if you're checking just about every 10 minutes, you can catch up on every big play that just happened. In addition, these highlights are of very good quality. Just recently, the new feature of condensed games has been added to the Video Highlights. Condensed games are usually 13-20 minute videos that show every single plate appearance of the game. If you happened to miss a game because you were busy or your team was on the west coast and you were asleep, you can wake-up to the entire game right there on your iPhone. How great is that? The only problem I've had with the video highlights is that it locks up your iPhone at times. If you let the video run until its conclusion, it will take about 15 seconds to get out of the video player and then it'll show the audio display, which is really weird. Plus, some videos are coded poorly and will freeze at certain frames. Then the video just continues with the audio and one static frame. In addition to condensed games and highlights, you also get MLB.com videos, which include daily MLB Fastcasts (everything that happened in baseball on a certain day) and Fantasy 411 advice videos. This little application pretty much packs all the punch that MLB.com has.

So many awesome highlights to watch!

Live Game Tracker

The Live Tracker is just as fast as MLB Gameday on the computer. It shows the location, velocity, and pitch type of every pitch. It also displays every single play and every scoring play. In addition, it has the game's box score as well as player cards that show player stats and splits. The only problem with this is that it sometimes doesn't update. I would have to close the app completely and then re-open it so that it could update. This only happens when you leave the app open for too long. Otherwise, the live game tracker is great if you're running out of battery life. Because Gameday Audio sucks battery like a leech.

And Aaron Harang pitches to Luis Castillo...

In Conclusion...
    MLB At Bat is a must-have for any baseball fan that owns an iPhone or iPod touch. It is $9.99 well spent and it will keep you updated for a baseball season that spans nearly 7 months. The app is like a subscription, it will terminate at the end of this year's World Series, but even so, all of its features are well worth $10 considering you would have to pay $20 for the same features on MLB Gameday premium. The only complaint that I have about the app is that it has a lot of bugs. It had more before the 1.1 update, but it still has quite a few that needs fixing. So if you're a baseball fan that wants to be in the know, this app is a must-have for you.

Ratings
    Pros: Gameday Audio is awesome, video highlights are almost up to the minute, and the new condensed games are a plus for those who are busy and couldn't catch the game.
    Cons: Has its fair share of bugs in the video highlights as well as the live game tracker. Gameday audio drains a lot of battery.
    Overall: 9.4/10 - A must-have for any true baseball fan with an iPhone or iPod touch. Packed with features that you would have to pay $20 for.

Attached Files:

2. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    nicee..... using my idea for the youtube and appstore icon?

nice review, you're one to win

3. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    They do look better.

4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Woo! Nice. Very detailed review. I'M not a MLB fan but I can see those who are getting a lot out of your write up here. Images would look better CENTERed, that's my only (constructive) criticism

5. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That's a really nice review. If I didn't have XM and the DirecTV baseball package, I'd get it.

Those condensed games sound awesome.
  6. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Done.

7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    looks WAY better now...

something small can go a LONG way

8. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Nice review man. Keep up the good reviews. I would vote for you to be on the review team, but that's not up to me.

This app is the best app.