Missing the point?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by emmanicole, Aug 14, 2008.

1. emmanicole

emmanicole New Member

I'm not trying to start any arguments or anything, it's just what I have found to be the case for me, at least at this moment.

I jailbroke my iPod touch using WinPwn a couple days ago. That went smoothly and everything, and I installed both Cydia and installer 4 Beta (I'm running the custom 2.0.1 firmware)

I understand a lot of apps aren't compatible with 2.0.x yet, but I have found NOTHING to be useful in either Cydia or installer.

I jailbroke in the first place because I wanted to see what kind of apps were available, but primarily I wanted to choose my own wallpaper for the Springboard. I don't see how I can do that, I don't want an entire theme where the icons are changed and everything, just a custom wallpaper. And on top of this I can't change the lockscreen wallpaper for whatever reason since i jailbroke!

Please Register or Log in to view images

!!

I don't know, it's very likely I am expecting too much or being unrealistic, I understand this people.. but I have found no apps that are really useful, no way to customize the look of the homescreen without using some hideous theme, and no real benefit to jailbreaking. Am I alone in feeling this way? I am missing something?

Please enlighten me IF YOU WANT. If you don't have anything helpful to say, don't waste your time. Again this is just my opinion, not necessarily what is true.

Thanks.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The firmware came out not that very long ago. It takes quite a long time to port their apps over to the new firmware to get them working.

Also, the Jailbreak is pretty new right now and stuff in Cydia & Installer are basically for Developers right now to help move along in Development.

The only thing for users I guess is customization of the interface. If that is important to you, stay jailbroken, otherwise. Do whatever.

Shoulda did some research before jailbreaking :\
  3. emmanicole

emmanicole New Member

Yeah, I jailbroke basically because I wanted to see myself, it was hard to get a good idea of what was out there unless i did it myself. And with WinPwn it was extremely easy. I can always just restore anytime.

I think I am going to wait and see what else turns up in the next few weeks.
  4. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    From what I'm seeing and hearing, you won't be seeing a developer community too soon. Only like, 4 or 5 apps here or there.

It'll be mainly a vehicle for Cracked Apps and such.

Which is why I'm staying away from jailbreaking.
  5. emmanicole

emmanicole New Member

I see what you mean. I have actually found a lot of great apps in the App store for free, which surprised me.
  6. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think the App Store + 2.0 surpassed Installer by huge leaps.

Installer could never have gotten this big. Even with Apple charging for Apps, most of the ones being downloaded are FREE. And thats not just games.
  7. emmanicole

emmanicole New Member

I was thrilled when I saw the Tetris-like free app yesterday. It's an awesome app, I can't believe it's free!
  8. jack.misner@virgin.net

jack.misner@virgin.net New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, firstly, it is very possible to change just your springboard background and not the icons, download winterboard and open ssh.
    ssh into your ipod (user = root, password = alpine, port = 22) and goto
    /private/var/stash/themes.xxxxxx (where the x's represent the 6 letters which are different for every person) goto the folder of the theme you want the background of (you can change the background of that theme by replaces the background.png with whatever you want). delete the folder marked Icons. respring you ipod (using bigboss's respring app) and you will have your custom background and the default icons.
  9. JRthaMac

JRthaMac New Member

I would say it's worth it just for things like winterboard and customize.
  10. mcarter7190

mcarter7190 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i would say do it earlier rather than later because eventually here will be useful apps and you'll be happy that your ipod is jailbroken, even i you don't use the jailbroken features for a while.