Missing Link WIP thread

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by crizh4x, Jan 24, 2009.

1. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I have made a few posts about my next app called "The Missing Link"

I want to make this a thread of suggestions by you guys as I am sure I can do many of the things you guys want. Well, we'll see about that as you suggest ideas.

Status

My last post was about the first breakthrough of parsing the iTunes Library .plist file. This is a huge step for Windows. The fall back is that it can take a long ass time, pardon my french but it's kinda slow lol, once it parses your library, it can VERY quickly dump the contents of the music database to a local XML file which can also be loaded instantaneously. This is good for two reasons. The first is that after the iTunes Database is converted, TML can load it extremely fast without a hitch. The second is that TML isn't messing directly with your iTunes Library so, if it were to fail for whatever reason, it won't screw with iTunes.

In short, the status is that I can get yo mewzikz nao.

Needs

The needs are simple, I need some goals. I need some objectives for the app to accomplish. These are the current ideas:
    * Wireless Syncing (Working on it)
    * Automatic importing of PwnPlayer/Mewseek files into your iTunes/iPod/TML Library. This will allow a three way sync. Wirelessly, across the net even? (checking on it)
    *Home Wifi Now Playing song sync thingy (from Monkey Jam's post, checking on a lot of things)

Foreseen roadblocks

*iTunesDB file parsing. As previously thought, this is NOT a simple plist or XML file nor is it a SQLlite database. This will be a toughy (Working diligently)

Please post some more ideas and make the list ^^ grow. I want an app that can do it all in the way of music management. Gimme some more ideas

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Monkey Jam

Monkey Jam New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've always thought a really cool idea would be, when you get home while listening to music, your iPod/iPhone connects to your home WiFi, it would pause the track and would start it at the same place on AirTunes/iTunes/AppleTV (would sonos or other multi-room systems work?) etc...
  3. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, if iptm will help me.... *thinks as types* a Mobile Substrate plugin woud be capable of noticing when you connect to a WiFi network... the substrate plugin would send a broadcast packet (idk if the APIs allow this) and my app can connect to it via a static IP or a DNS setup on the network. Then I can use the MS plugin to grab the current playing song, locate it in the TML database and either play it in TML or within iTunes itself.

Doable, but damn it won't be easy. I like it, I'll add to the list.
  4. Monkey Jam

Monkey Jam New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    maybe just to get the idea started, you could just edit the Sonos app and get it to play over the air that way, and expand because that's the quickest fix I see, then edit the remote app for iTunes/AppleTV, so it opens in the background, starts playing the song, then quits or whatever. Then you can start making it interesting...Boxee maybe? does that have a wifi remote system? I have no clue if it's that simple though... maybe this will help?
  5. hockeyhui10

hockeyhui10 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I like the link he has hyperlinked except that it would be cooler if u could also listen to the songs on your iPod.
  6. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That approach is similar to what I was thinking. I'll look into it though, it seems promising. The video shows that the guy listens to real music

Please Register or Log in to view images

*looks at avatar*
  7. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    PM me for gfx. And is this an itunes alternative?
  8. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, I can't make a true iTunes alternative because of DRM, not just on songs but on apps as well. Also, codecs would be a major issue... I may be able to do something with K-Lite though.

Right now I'm struggling with iPhone Utilities and getting it to execute my scripts... If iptm would get online I could probably release it this afternoon lol.

I might look into *how* iTunes handles its DRM on its apps and try to replicate something.... kind of a touchy legally but again, I'll check on it.

ZunePod, if you want to make some graphics, you could start off with an icon. 512x512 160ppi. Make it follow the same design as the iPhone Utilities icon, just a different internal image. Something to do with syncing I guess. You can find the iPhone Utilities icon in my demo thread which should be in this section, a few pages back.
  9. hockeyhui10

hockeyhui10 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey Cris, how is The Missing Link coming along?