Minimalistic Touch, Few Apps, Java Only

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Replogle, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Replogle

Replogle New Member

Hello,

Forgive me, I'm new to the Touches as well as iPod Touch Fans Forum, so if this topic has been brought before then I apologize. I tried an extensive search on the topic but came up empty.

Is it possible to remove all unnecessary pre-installed apps and have my Touch be a Java-only device? If no, is there a JB "minimization" app, which, among other things, will remove unused apps like "Stocks" or "Weather"?

Thank you!
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you wanted an All Java device, why did you get the iPhone/iPod Touch? Java is dirt. If you want to remove Stocks and Weather, you'll need to jailbreak, find the correct directory, and remove those two apps.
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Note to OP: the Apple iPod Touch and iPhone do not run Java. If you want a Java-capable device, you need to be looking at something else like a Motorola phone which does. Beyond that, you -can- hide those things on the SpringBoard (Stocks, Weather, etc) or just move them from the first SpringBoard screen to another one so your 'home' screen isn't cluttered up.
  4. geiman

geiman New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually, there used to be java runtimes for the ipod back with the 1.1.x jailbreaks, however I'm not sure if they were ever ported. Remember all those great features we used to have, ie.. jiggy, ruby, etc.. I believe java was one of them, and in fact I'm almost 100% positive because I ran some school projects on it just as a proof of concept.

EDIT: Checkout the java section under cydia, java runtimes are still there.
  5. Atl

Atl New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    On my Jailbroken 2.1, I poofed out all the useless apps and now I only have one page with 12 icons I use daily, or are important, and my dock (which is only the calendar app).

I would post an image to give you an idea, but winscp isn't cooperating.

I have no idea about the java mess.
  6. Jarlath

The IPod Touch and iPhone aren't Java-capable devices by default; it's like saying, because you can download Java for Windows, that your Windows machine is a Java machine. And it's still kinda odd that you'd buy an iPod Touch to run Java applications on, when there are other devices which are more suitable (and which officially support Java) for it.

But I'd just suggest poofing unwanted applications or moving them off the first Home screen, so they aren't cluttering it up.
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If you really don't want those apps at all delete them from /Applications

Just back them up somewhere in case you want them back.
  8. Samevans

Samevans New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just Poof them!!
  9. geiman

geiman New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well essentially, a device that is "made for java" is not equipped or designed better for java than a windows machine that you download java on. What do you think java is? It isn't a magical device; it's simply a nice high level programming language/runtime. Why would you want to run java programs on your iPod? If you have to ask this question I don't think you fully understand.

Just a thought...
  10. Jarlath

A device that is "Made for Java" usually has a supported JVM on it, or else supports BREW natively like some of the Motorola phones. Apple does NOT support or provide (or even allow) JVM's for the iPod Touch, which makes it a poor choice (IMO) for using it as a 'Java' device. Windows Mobile devices, on the other hand, DO have JVM's which are supported and have PocketIE plugins... whereas the last time I looked, there were no Java plugins available for Safari, even in the jailbreak community. And Apple's made its positions on non-compliant code quite clear with the Touch 2G, in my opinion.

To be blunt, you need a JVM on your device to run any sort of Java plugin on a webpage, much less a full-on Java program... and Apple decided not to include one with the iPod Touch, and SDK rules specifically prohibit allowing any program to run code outside of itself. That's part of why emulators aren't allowed in the App Store, and why nobody else save Google is allowed to create programs which access anything beyond their own directories and the few frameworks which are available through the SDK.

To be honest, making a program for anything but Objective-C on the iPod is like using JavaScript to program an application for a desktop computer that has to be run through a web browser in order to function at all; a waste of time when there are better alternatives. Buying an iPod to run Java on it, when there is no JVM available and nobody's interested in providing one, is like buying a cheap Dell notebook for the express purpose of installing Mac OS X when it doesn't contain any hardware which is certified under the Hackintosh lists and which has no expansion ports or bays available to allow you to switch out for things which DO have drivers and are supported.