Review Minigore Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Radish, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Price: $0.99

Version: 1.0

iTunes Store link: Minigore

Developer: Mountain Sheep

Game Specific Site: http://minigore.blogspot.com/

Publisher: Chillingo Ltd

Gameplay Video: YouTube

[What is Minigore?]

Minigore is the introduction game to Hardgore (a game that is set to debut later this year) by Finnish game developer Mountain Sheep. The competitive price of $0.99 is, in the words of Kimmo from Mountain Sheep on the minigore blog: "This is we introducing ourselves to the iPhone players and we wanted treat them to an awesome price to let everyone have a chance to get to know John Gore."

The current version of Minigore can be considered an incomplete version due to the amount of updates scheduled for the game. For instance, in the first update there will be "co-op multiplayer, some wicked shrooms and the [tagline] contest winner's character added into the game". In the second update will be things they incorporate from the user input.

Note: I will have a new section for Minigore updates when the first update comes out, I'm preparing to follow at the very least six of this game's updates, check back to find out what's new.

[Gameplay/Controls]

You now know how to play Minigore

The gameplay in Minigore is not complicated. To put it simply, you (John Gore, the main character) are to destroy furry black creatures. There are three different sizes of these creatures, ranging from tiny, medium, and a size so big it should be called "OH MY GOD WHY". When the big creature is destroyed it spawns a few medium critters and several tiny ones. You've probably guessed it, the medium creature spits out tiny creatures when it dies. Watch out for the elusive Firefurry, tiny furries that run faster than John Gore can.

Four flavours of rabid furries

The creatures will spawn usually out of sight but will converge on your location. The tiny ones move about as fast as you do and every once in a while one extremely fast one will come out of nowhere (though no where as fast as a Firefurry). Medium is slightly slower while the biggie size are super slow. Because killing furries spawn more furries (albeit smaller) you are constantly fighting them back, rarely is it wise to stop shooting. A little while into the game, you will be surrounded by furries and will be performing dangerous maneuvers to get out of tight situations constantly. This game definitely has the whole zombie gameplay down, the more you kill, the more will arrive, leaving you worse off than before.

Thankfully, you have unlimited ammo on your main weapon (a rapid firing gun), and if that isn't enough there are powerups to be collected.

Crates drop periodically from vanquished furries, they can either be shot at a few times to create an explosion that shoots bullets all directions, kind of like a makeshift bomb, or picked up for a shotgun powerup.

Blam blam! Satisfaction at last.

There are also clovers that can be looted from dead furries. Collect three clovers and turn into a Beast.

Beast mode is beastly.

In Beast mode, you are invincible, feel free to trample any and all creatures that stand in your way. Be warned, you can only stay in that state for a limited amount of time, don't get caught in a mob.

Use your powerups wisely, as two hits means death. The first will give John Gore a spurt of adrenaline and remain invincible for a short time while running extremely fast to get away from the furries. The second hit will kill you.

Finding the game too easy? Try Expert mode for a tougher challenge.

One last thing: Bushes are not your friends. I'll leave you to figure that one out.

[Presentation/Graphics]

I adore Minigore's graphics. While John Gore is shooting down presumably evil furries, his head behaves like a bobble head, swinging back and forth while he walks. The furries are a blend of menacing and cute, leaning towards menacing.

The environment is where it gets interesting, take a look at this screenshot.

You probably weren't paying attention to the ground, look again. It's an unique and very obviously 2D floor. I rather think it's lovely and compliments the cartoonish characters quite well. I suppose it's 2D to decrease lag, although there are 3D bushes and rocks (which you can't hide behind, you go right through them).

Despite Minigore's 3D characters, the game experienced no lag, even on my jailbroken device.

[Extra Info]

[Audio]

The first time I played Minigore I was heavily impressed by its graphics and gameplay, it wasn't until my second time playing it that I plugged in my headphones. I was pleasantly astounded.

The main menu in Minigore has peaceful music, not unlike some levels on Star Defense. It's very reminiscent of that scene in epic movies where the hero dies in the arms of the woman of his dreams he just met through a series of dangerous encounters, while heavy rainfall pours down on them both. Did I mention the woman would be sobbing? I almost expected a long, piercing "Noooooooooo!" I suppose it has a sort of tragic ring to it.

The background music while playing, is much different. It has a climatic "do or die" tone, suits the game well.

You're going to have to get used to the rat-tat-tat of the machine gun, as no doubt you will be holding down the fire button. It's difficult to hear while shooting, but while John Gore walks, "crunch crunch" accompanies his shuffles. When he goes Beast, banjo music fills the air, a big contrast to the destructive power of the Beast and the carefree strumming of a banjo.

I'm big on audio and graphics, as you may have noticed in my past reviews, it's no surprise that I went ecstatic when I heard that Egoraptor, creator of the Awesome series was going to voice John Gore. Now, if you haven't heard of the Awesome series, you're missing out. Egoraptor is a very talented (and hilarious) voice actor (not to mention animator).

John Gore will periodically shout things, such as "Stay off my legs! Oh wait, I have no legs" in a rough, masculine voice. When the giant furry appears, he will might say one of a few phrases, one of which is "Oh my goodness, that's a large one." The voice acting is definitely one of the biggest pluses in Minigore.

[Replay Value]

Contrary to the simple gameplay, I found myself playing it over and over, it was no simple feat to tear myself away to write this review.

There are also highscores to keep you playing.

OpenFeint is enabled in this game, which is a nice addition. You can brag about your score, or just chat casually. ​

[Final Thoughts]

It's great games like Minigore that are the reason I even wanted to write reviews in the first place. It is an absolute joy to pick at every detail in Minigore because of the superb attention to graphics and audio (and indeed gameplay as well) presented by Mountain Sheep and is an even greater joy to play.

I can't stress enough the importance of detail in this game. I sincerely doubt Minigore would be nearly as entertaining without the voice acting, or cute characters, or even Beast mode.

I can easily imagine Minigore making it to the Top 100 in a matter of days, especially with its attractive price.

Mountain Sheep has definitely come out strong, and I'll be looking forward to the updates in the future and to other games they will develop. Especially Hardgore.

[Ratings]

Gameplay/Controls: 9/10 - Simple but fun, I don't know what it is, but killing little furry creatures never gets old. Controls are easy to pick up. Updates on the way, for now, not enough.

Presentation/Graphics: 9/10 - Superb job, although cartoonish, it has cute and detailed characters.

Audio: 10/10 - Egoraptor as John Gore was the best idea Mountain Sheep had in this game. Very enjoyable background music, both in game and out.

Replay Value: 9/10 - ADDICTIVE. I could not put this game down. The only other time I've been this addicted to an iDevice game was Zenonia (and it had a whole storyline).

Value for the Money: 9/10 - There are few games this good at this price. It's usually when games have been in the app store for a while or for promotions that prices are dropped this low. This game is well worth the money.

Overall: 9.2/10 - "Excellent." Words are too few to describe how great this game is. This is the first time I've said this in a review: Get this game. With updates on its way I predict an even higher rating. And don't forget, I'll be updating this review along side Minigore's updates, check back to see what's new.​

Sources (including header, non-gameplay pictures, quotes in intro): http://minigore.blogspot.com/

Attached Files:

2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    [Additional Images]

What's this...

[Updates]

Coming soon

Episode 2 (Click for more details)

• John Gore now has three health, depicted by a headband.
    • Large and Medium FireFurries.
    • OpenFeint Achievements
    • Insane Mode
    • Unpause countdown
    • Furry Sense
    • Furries now have death animation
    • New sound effects (voice acting too)
    • Bugs and gameplay fixes
    Official Minigore Blog with more information
  3. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
  4. SuperNova

SuperNova Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    amazing review!
    for a second i was like how the heck is there a review already.. lmao

good job!
  5. Octizzle

Octizzle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I agree, and so soon after it comes out!
  6. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Check the post date. He must have gotten a preview build, the lucky bastard.

7. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    He got the game because he won a contest. it had to do with the slogan or something.
  8. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    No, I got the game so I could review it. The slogan thing was something totally different.
  9. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh. What was the slogan thing for? Weren't you going to be put into the game or something like that? I can't remember.
  10. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Either way, you're still really lucky. And you get to be in the game, too.

Great review, by the way. Only thing is that I saw a few weeks ago on the Minigore blog that they had updated the textures for some things, and your screenshots seem to be of the old textures. Maybe take some screenshots of the released version as well?