Milking Apple's repair service for what it's worth..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by R4ds1234, May 8, 2010.

1. R4ds1234

R4ds1234 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    well, let me give a bit of history...

I got my trusty iPod Touch 2nd gen, MB a year and a half ago, for Christmas of '08. I love it to death, and can't imagine life without it. As soon as the beta version of redsn0w, the tethered one, came out, i was all over it. The untethered redsn0w followed suit, and my iPod became my personal computer on the go.

Well, after a year and a half of use, it's beginning to take a toll. Even with all MobileSubstrate tweaks dropped, and brightness on low, it's battery drains at an alarming pace. The Sleep/wake button has sunken in a bit (partially due to the Sleep-to-Lock tweak) and is much less responsive.

Well, i looked on Apple's support site, to see if i can get anything done to it. after poking around a bit, i learned that getting the battery replaced, they send you a completely new device, not the original.

Knowing this, and with this price list, http://www.apple.com...vice/prices/#us , and the new Spirit jailbreak, that covers 3rd generations (as i'm sure they won't give out 2nd gens anymore) could it be possible to send my iPod in for the cheaper battery replacement, and end up with a faster, shiny iPod with a working power button?

of course, i'd have to upgrade it to an untouched 3.1.3, but do they check the bootloader? if i'm not mistaken, redsn0w patched my bootloader...
  2. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    That is why you do a complete restore into 3.1.3 before sending it.
    Make sure you still have warranty on it. I have a 3 year on mine.
    The chances of them sending a new one is almost 100%.
    They stopped making them and them to ship one out would seem foolish.
  3. Lagunatic

Lagunatic Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    No they will send you a 2g coz i sent mine in and expected a 3rd gen in return but i got disappointed when they sent me a shiny 2g. It doesn't even come in the standard packaging, just bubble wrap. Sorry to disappoint you...
  4. hipy

hipy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    they still give out 2gens, i got mine replaced in february( the 3g was already out then ) and they gave me a 2g, in a little bag. software 2.2.1...

( and yes i bought 3.0 before that ) but i guess it was just an old production model before 3.0 came out

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    apple still has new ipod touch 2Gs
    mine went in for repair 2 weeks before and I got a new 2G back

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. R4ds1234

R4ds1234 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    oh, well, thanks for the feedback. i thought apple practically abandons their products when they make new ones. i guess you get what you pay for..
  7. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hmmm...that's very interesting. If I understand the rpicing tho, It's almost be better to just get a new ipod from the Apple store...
    I have a 1stGen 16gb. It says:

Repair Cost Battery Replacement (Online)
    iPod touch 16 GB $199 $79

So including the $7 shipping, it would cost me $295.
  8. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok, I'm having a similar problem, iPod touch 2G, with and MB----- Model Number. Got it in December '08. I had some speaker problems so I sent it in at around November '09. Got a refurb replacement back. I'm having more problems with it. Can I send it in for dust under the screen or poor battery life or something and get a refurb one back again? (THIS IS NOT FRAUD, AS I ACTUALLY DO HAVE DUST UNDER THE SCREEN AND I UNDERSTAND THAT ITS COVERED UNDER THE WARRANTY. I AM NOT FAKING A PROBLEM IN ORDER TO GET A NEW IPOD)
  9. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My brother got his 1st gen nano replaced about six months ago and they sent him another 1st gen. You aren't gonna get a 3G, 100% positive.
  10. Kallen

Kallen Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No, but getting a 2G would still be cool. And at the VERY least, getting a new/refurb 1G with a NEW battery wouldn't be bad. And if I had to pay almost $300 just to get back another 1G i would be pissed.