microphone with ipod G2

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by malctron, Dec 22, 2008.

1. malctron

malctron New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    HI this is goin to sound really noobish but, how does the microphone actually work does it just work through the 3.5 jack?
    if so does it automatically know that there is a microphone there or is there a setting that you need to change or something?
    Also what are the best programs to use? and what is the best microphone to use.

Sorry for all the questions it's just confusing me and help would be great.
    many thanks
  2. bryguy001

bryguy001 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It should work automatically and good apps to use with it are fring (voip client) and shazam. Google doesn't seem to want to use the mic for it's app for the touch though. it's quite sad.

Can't help you on recommendations of good mics, sorry.
  3. malctron

malctron New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  4. MikeBoi

MikeBoi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I didnt know you could get mic for ipod touch 2G xD
  5. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yeah, i found out yesterday too lol.
  6. malctron

malctron New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah by all accounts some how apple have used the 3.5 stereo jack as a microphone hole as well as a headphone socket quiet clever really, it was in the 2.2 firmware. be nice if they told us about it though.
  7. ipod_noobie

ipod_noobie New Member

You can use the iPhone headset for $29.99 in order to record voice or make VOIP calls.

I tested it with ipod touch second generation out of the box with that very headset using Fring and Voipstunt.

I don't really see why Apple wouldn't push that info more since it's a huge bonus for an MP3 Player... and you don't have to get the iPhone in order to make calls - as long as you have WIFI of course.

Since I already had an account with Voipstunt I'm pretty happy to make free calls to most European countries...

Supposedly there is also a Blackberry headset that will work on the ipod touch as well. Regular headsets like for your wireless phone at home and some some cell phones won't work. The 3.5mm jack needs to have 4 contacts like the iPhone headset.

More info about VOIP on the ipod touch and headsets would be much appreciated.
  8. malctron

malctron New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah cheers for that, finally got some idea about it now, and now wot to get.
    Thanks again