microphone problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by _Treize_, Feb 2, 2009.

1. _Treize_

_Treize_ New Member

recently i purchased the standard earphones with mic from apple hoping i could use it to skype without having to carry around my laptop around the house, I know.. laptops are usually meant to be portable but this is not a debate whether i am lazy or not

Please Register or Log in to view images

the problem however arises when i try to use the microphone with any voip program. When i record audio with some simple recording programmes i experience no problems but when i use a voip program i hear a strange echo, almost 'alien' like.. also i do not hear other people on the other side of the call but they can hear me in a normal way. besides this problem the remote and the earphones work perfectly. now my question is: is it a problem with the programmes, earphones/mic or the ipod itself?

thx in advance for any replies

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. flyboy1717

flyboy1717 New Member

I have the same exact problem. I'm using headphones/mic that came with a blackberry. Any help would be much appreciated.
  3. ispyt2

ispyt2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This sounds like the same problem I have been working on: "Garbled feedback using Truphone and Fring"

This doesn't appear to be a problem with headphones. I have tried the Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic and the Philips Mic with various headsets.

Apple replaced my Earphones which didn't help. Their diagnostics didn't find anything wrong with my iPod touch 2G.

This happens anywhere, even at the Apple Store.

I suspect it is a hardware issue but so far, Apple doesn't agree. Maybe if enough people send feedback to them at apple.com/feedback/ipodtouch.html, they will look into it.

What is your iPod touch 2G build info (1st 5 digits on left of serial number)? Settings->General->About
    Maybe it is a build series that has this problem. Mine is 1A838.

Try this test:

Instead of your earphones with a Mic, plug in your earphones that came with the iPod touch 2G - the ones without a Mic.

Call the "fring test call". Do this several times with both the earphones with Mic and the earphones without a Mic.

For me, the earphones with Mic have this problem at times while the earphones without a Mic do not.
  4. eric780

eric780 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Try using voipstunt SIP instead of Skype. It works perfectly for me :]
    It could also be a problem with your wi-fi signal
  5. _Treize_

_Treize_ New Member

thx for the replies so far, i have tried everything described in your posts and the standard earphones which came along with the ipod itself do not have this problem, so its probably a problem with the mic. my own serial is 1M203.
    about the voipstunt SIP, it has the same problem as skype so i think its not a software related problem and the wi-fi signal does not seem to be a problem either since ive tested it while standing underneath the wireless router.
    should i consider going back to the store and ask for a replacement or is it unlikely it will work seeing your previous experience?
  6. MikMakMan

MikMakMan New Member

I have the same problem, also this 'alien' echo. So i won't think a replacement would fix the problem.
  7. ispyt2

ispyt2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Be sure to send your experience to apple.com/feedback so they can see that there are others having the same problem. You will not get an answer but the Apple Store searches the feedback when you mention a problem.

Also, post your issue on the Apple Support Discussions at discussions.apple.com

If the Apple Store is not too far, go and see what they say. At least it will be on their status report and what they tried to do to resolve the issue. It will show up as an unresolved issue.

When I went to the Apple Store a few weeks ago, they didn't see "a pattern" for this problem when they searched. With more people reporting this issue to Apple, maybe "a pattern" will show up.

I don't think it's a WiFi issue since it happens at any WiFi spot, including the Apple Store. If it is related to WiFi, it could still be the iPod touch hardware. When it works, the voice quality is very good. It can work several times in a row and it can fail several times in a row.
  8. pintofbeer

pintofbeer New Member

Alien noises

I bought myself a touch today and have this same problem, one of my main reasons for purchasing was the skype-ability so mildly annoying. However I have found an albeit unscientific cure, during an alien invaded call tap the screen to get the 4 options up, toggle the 'speaker' option until things return to normal. Like I say not scientific but it works for me.
  9. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

fyi, black berries and ipod touchs are completely... different.

i dont know about your problem though.
  10. ispyt2

ispyt2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Garbled Audio with VoIP Apps may have a fix

There is a posting at discussions.apple.com from a person who has loaded OS 3.0 beta and it appears to fix this problem, at least with the Skype app.