Microphone on 2g ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by levelchaser, Jul 7, 2009.

1. levelchaser

levelchaser Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I recently purchased a little mic for my 2g ipod touch. It's a little plugin that just has a mic at the end of it. I bought it so that i could use the Ocarina without trying to hold my apple headphones to my mouth haha. I wanted to use it as ppl use it with their iphones.

ANYWAYS...the problem is that my ipod thinks that the mic is a set of headphones so it won't play out of the speaker. I need a way to make audio come out of the speaker. Or if there is a preference or a app that can make my audio play through both.

(BTW the mic works 100% in all voice apps (like voicememo)

I know it's sorta hard to explain if you guys don't understand just tell me i'll try to further explain the problem
  2. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Which Mic is it? I'm not sure how the ipod determines weather speakers are attached or not, in the old days it was mechanical, when you plugged them in they pushed on a metal trigger that broke the circuit to internal speakers.
  3. eladc

eladc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have the same problem with that mic.
  4. levelchaser

levelchaser Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  5. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    First, the headphone jack is the primary outlet for the internal speaker. If you block it you will get sound still but it wont be as crisp and clear.

Second, take an ohm meter, the section farthest from the tip is ground, test the resistance to each of the other 3 sections. If you get anything other than infinite on the top two then you have your answer. If the top have any resistance at all the touch will sense this as headphones of some sort attached and play the music through that.

Oh, if you don;t have an ohm meter run into you local radio shack, they usually have one behind the counter for testing batteries. If you don't have a radio shack you can try the jewelry counter at walmart, on occasion they have one and are told it's a battery tester, but very few do have one.

This is called resistive audio switching. basically the speakers have some resistance to them but it's not infinite. The electronic device sense this and switches output sources. I had to ask an electronics buddy of mine so props for the info goes to him.
  6. levelchaser

levelchaser Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks a bunch! But i was sorta looking for a software related fix.

If all else fails i will do this tho, and thanks again

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)

Unless I am mistaken on how this is handled you would need a firmware level patch to change the way this operates since you are wanting to use it with an existing app. If you were writing the app from scratch you might be able to work around it.

However there are many people here more knowledgeable than I so maybe they can share some insight, I would like to know myself.
  8. Tsukoi

Tsukoi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just based on what I've seen/heard, the reason the iPod thinks it's a set of Earphones is because the Mic is plugged into the EarPhone Jack.

Not really sure how you can fix this, other than buying a Second plugin for the Earphone jack, so you can have both the Earphones and Mic in at the same time.
  9. Strykker

Strykker New Member

I found a free solution for mic: I tried a Blackberry storm headset my wife had in the drawer that has a mic and dual ear buds. Plugged it in and tested the voice memo and bingo it worked. Side note is that I can pause the touch when playing music with it too. I don't have to remove my headphones or turn it down to have a conversation. Sound is not bad at all either.
  10. brianskatesbath

brianskatesbath Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah but i think levelchaser already has those headphones, the apple headphones with mic, I do too. Hmm i guess there is no software solution to this