Microphone for Touch, VoIP

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jjodabell, Apr 20, 2009.

1. jjodabell

jjodabell New Member

Hello everyone.

I was curious about having VoIP options for my 2G Touch.
    I know there are options such as Phillips adaptors and obviously Apple's own mic+earphone.
    Is it possible to use other mic+earphone from another cell phone, if I can find the right sized plug?

I already have a hands-free mic+earphone set from an old cell phone but it's got 2.5mm plug. If I get a 2.5-->3.5mm convertor, will it work with VoIP applications? Or is there some proprietary chip/technology going on with Apple's own set?

Thanks
  2. eric780

eric780 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sorry, but you have to use apple-compatible microphones. Apple just sucks that way. I've tried blackberry microphones, regular headset microphones, none of them work.
  3. Wills42

Wills42 New Member

I bought a really cheap (made for iPhone, but works with the iPod touch) mic and headset for 5$ at 5 and below, and I THINK a converter might work. Just buy a really cheap one from a store like 5 and Below and if it doesn't work, return it.
  4. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, sorry you have to use Apple's Ear and Mic.
  5. IPT2grookie

IPT2grookie New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Non-apples mics

I picked up a Monster mic adapter from Best Buy for $16 and it works fine for VOIP on my iPod Touch 2G. I plug it into the Ipod, then plug the headphones into it - works like a champ - sound is fine.

While some mics may not work (I think Belkin had an older mic that plugged into the bottom and not the headphone jack and that didn't work) I think there are many non-apple mics that work fine.

Rookie
  6. newton1221

newton1221 New Member

there are lots of different options, i'm not sure what some of these people are talking about but you do not have to use apple products, my advice to you would be buy something really cheap like under $10 because i have heard that the quality is about the same no matter what you use, if it doesnt work with the ipod then just take it back to the store and be like it doesnt work, can i have my money back
  7. jelundberg

jelundberg New Member

Audio-Technica AT355i

Has anyone had any luck with the Audio-Technica AT355i? It's a Japanese adapter (and all the instructions are in Japanese), but I was told from the Apple Reseller in Singapore from whom I bought it that it should work with iPod Touch. However, when I tried it out last night in Skype, the microphone wasn't working. Sound comes in fine on my regular headphones when plugged into it, and the volume bar works, but no mic.

Don't know if I'm missing something, or if it's just not compatible with iPod Touch.