Mic Problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tawelton, Dec 20, 2009.

1. tawelton

tawelton New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i bought a 3rd party headset with a mic the other day for my 2gen touch, and it is recognized by the voice memos app(it does record the sound) but it when I use siphon it does recognize the mic but it wont let audio through the earbuds or input through the mic when I make a call.... It worked a few months ago but then something must have happened with the firmware update or something...I dont know......Any ideas?
  2. b0xer23

b0xer23 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think some wire got crashed in headset. Cant help you from the other part of planet. But if you have tester or something to test connections i think i can help.
  3. tjgriffin

tjgriffin Member

I have a Shure mic that you can plug a headphone into. I just got a pair of Ultimate Ears with a mic. I also tried a cheapo pair with a mic. All the headphones work fine but none of the mics work. I found if I pull the plug out a tiny bit, just so, the mic starts working.

I was at an Apple store. They didn't have any openings at the Genius Bar, but the sales guy got a pair of Apple buds with a mic. They worked absolutely perfectly. I replugged them several time to make sure I didn't get lucky. I tugged a bit, pushed the plug sideways. They worked every time. I pulled out my Shure mic and it sure didn't work. They said the Apple buds used an industry standard plug, so all the others should work too.

Anyone else seen this or have any ideas what's going on? Is it fixable? At home?

My iPod touch is a 2G 16 Gb MB w/ 3.1.3, currently unjailbroken, I picked up used.

Thanks!
  4. dbyjazz

dbyjazz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Only certain ones work with it.
  5. tjgriffin

tjgriffin Member

The Shure works on my friend's iPod Touch and all are labeled iPod Touch compatible. The Shure works on my Wife's iPod Classic. I should try the UE's.