Metal on Headphone jack eroding away? :s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ari., Jan 10, 2010.

1. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Hi,

On my iPhone 3Gs's headphone jack the metal ring around the headphone jack has turned a nasty white colour and is starting to break away.

1) it looks really bad and ugly (sorry but i expect my iPhone to look nice if i pay £548 for it).

2) its used as an antennae so i'm worried it might affect the signal etc

3) worried it might stat affecting headphones (currently using bluetooth headset though).

I have no idea what is causing it to do this, the indicator is still white so it isn't a water problem and i haven't put it near anything to cause this reaction.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Would it be worth taking back to apple (just don't want to lose all my game data and stuff when getting a new model)?

also, i have gone through 4 pairs of apple headphones with this model (apple store kindly replaced them for me), the left earbud ALWAYS stops working after a few days-a few weeks, and its not me being stupid with the headphones, i know how to take care of them and never play loud heavy music.

so maybe that might be another reason to get replaced (staff at apple store suggested taking it to genius bar if next headphones break)
  2. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
  3. jmanprousk

jmanprousk New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Replace the headphone jack, or take it into an Apple Store an get an appointment.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Got any pictures of it?