Metal around headphone jack causes problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DUKE546, Sep 9, 2010.

1. DUKE546

DUKE546 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I took my 4G in the car with me for the first time today, I plugged it into my aux port on my radio and i got this horrible horrible hissing sound like when you change the channel on your TV but there is no station there...

After about 10 mins of playing with it i finally realized my aux cable has metal at the base of it that was coming in contact with the exposed metal around the jack. On my first gen i didnt have that problem because the metal around the jack is painted.

I looked at the iPod headphones that came with the device and the plastic is wrapped all around the male plug of the headphones, so when the headphones are pushed all the way in the plastic comes in contact not metal.

So now i either pull the aux cable out a bit or cover the base with a non conductive material...

Attached Files:

2. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hmmm that sucks. Seems like a bit of a design flaw. I guess the signal coming through the cable is messing with something on the case? I thought the base signal on an audio cable was Ground...I wouldn't have expected that.