Messed up song names

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by SmexyPenguin18, Aug 4, 2009.

1. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I got all my music off my ipod a while ago but all the songs names were just 4 letters. Until now i just used itunes and it would show the right names but now i want to put all my music in organized folders but i need to fix the names. I don't want to fix them all one-by-one so does anyone know a program that will change the actual name of the file according to the id3 tags?
  2. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iTunes encrypts the music. You can look for a program called iDump and it will get all of the songs off the iPod with the correct names.
  3. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The music is already on my computer and its not on my ipod anymore.
  4. Chabara

Chabara Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    fixtunes?
  5. Swiss3g

Swiss3g Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    1) iTunes Edit menu->Preferences->Advanced, and put checkmarks in the boxes for "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library"; save prefs. (If you're using a Mac, it's the iTunes menu->Preferences->Advanced)

2) iTunes File menu->Library->Organize library; in the box that opens up, put a checkmark in the "Consolidate files" box. If there's a box labelled "Upgrade to iTunes Media organization" make sure it's unchecked. Click the OK button. This should force iTunes to update the file names and folder structure. It works fine for me -- I just tested it with a small library I created and set up to mimic your situation. (Consolidating is normally used to move files from one folder to another without losing iTunes' links to the filepaths. But in this case -- when the music files are already in the desired folder -- we're using Consolidation to force iTunes to rename the files that are already there.)