MCM:Band - "Then and Now"

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by MooTheCow, Jun 19, 2008.

1. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

Hi guys!

Just a quick explanation of why I asked ModMyIfone to take Band down, and what you can expect in the future.

First of all, the reason for removing 1.1.4 Band is _not_ because I'm hoping the tiny few of you left that didn't download it will have to instead buy it in the AppStore and I can extort money from you. This is _not_ because I'm trying to cripple all the 250k people who downloaded it for free (a certain card game springs to mind...). This is _not_ because I'm trying to hide the fact that it was once free.

What I _am_ trying to do is to limit the confusion for new folk who have never jailbroken, and would otherwise see an application that they have to pay for, and also a seemingly identical app that they'd get for free but only if they (smallprint) jailbroke down to 1.1.4 first. Also, certain restrictions placed on the SDK by Apple means that the functionality of the Jailbreak Band and the AppStore Band will be different - so again I'd like to draw a line over the Jailbreak band, call it a "Beta" to avoid confusion, and move on.

If you want to get hold of Band for 1.1.4 then ask around the forums and I'm sure one of those quarter of a million people will be able to email you a Zip. I'm absolutely fine with you doing this. Especially as, come July, the lure of the AppStore will make you all upgrade to 2.0 and then 1.1.4 Band (as all of the current Jailbreak apps) will stop working. I'm also expecting that 99% of you have seen enough of Band now that you would rather just stop using it than pay for it, and I'm fine with that too. I'd probably be the same.

For the 1%

Please Register or Log in to view images

the AppStore Band will be a much more robust and featured product than the Jailbreak one. It will have vastly improved audio (back to the super-fast latency that Drummer had), and polyphony (currently I have it at 30 samples playing at once, but I shall fine-tune this). Not to mention the killer: saving and loading songs. This simple functionality means that now you can spend much longer writing the perfect song, knowing that you can save it and keep it for ever. I've even been distracted from writing code for hours to come up with the "perfect" blues guitar solo to use as a demo! There's also various other tweaks and changes here and there to improve the user experience. And 2.0 means that loads of the bugs that were the result of your chosen jailbreak method have gone, so no more crashing or "no audio" issues.

What will be missing is a couple of instruments (Scratch which never worked well, and DanceLoops which was tricky to play and will be better implemented as a proper dance sequencer app in the future). The motivation for these changes was that I need to keep the download under 10mb to allow you to install it via EDGE/3G, which I'm advised would be "a good thing".

Also gone are the user-instruments. This is a real headache to implement assuming that you won't have FTP access to the device. And as it turns out, 250,000 people installed Band, and about 10 people actually bothered to make their own instruments. So I shall probably spend my time coming up with even cooler apps for the 249,990 of you, rather than try to please those 10.

Incidentally I have plans to produce future instrument packs for Band in different musical genres, so it's no huge loss.

And that's just the start. I am also working on an update to Pianist for the opening of the AppStore, that will be pretty much all you could ever wish for in a mobile piano app. And should those two apps sell reasonably well, I'm going to update Drummer to be a full programmable drum and bassline machine, and Guitarist to include chord playing and a rhythm guitar "sequencer". And obviously I have a load of ideas for _new_ apps after that. Synths, Effects, MIDI... This is where the jump from homebrew to professional apps happens, and it will hugely benefit you, and yet all it costs is a few dollars.

I _am_ charging for Band. I could get into a long rambling argument about how I've spent _thousands_ of hours provided the community with _four_ free apps that have been collectively been downloaded a _million_ times, and so I don't think it's unethical of me to want to get some return. But the argument is tedious. What it comes down to is this: if you want to use my apps in the future, then you'll have to buy them. If you don't think they're worth it then don't buy them. Seems fair to me.

Band will be selling in the $9.99 price bracket on the AppStore.
    Pianist will probably be around $6.99 but I've not decided yet.

And I suspect that, contrary to a certain recent poll, most apps that find their way to the AppStore that are not merely front-ends to another service will be around that price bracket. But I'm in the dark about that as much as you are.

2. JBB

JBB New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Good to see updates.

Thanks Moo.
  3. tian_kr

tian_kr New Member

i love when you post on these forums.
    and congrats on being on the keynote!!
  4. kholdilocks

kholdilocks Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Good to see that you're actually going o go somewhere with these awesome applications!
    Ass a musician I really enjoy these apps, and others will too!
    Good luck!
  5. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Congrats for being featured in the keynote!
    Also, if I ever do switch to 2.0, this will probably be on my buy list.
  6. QuAdS

QuAdS New Member

sounds good to me.
  7. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

Now you can put a face to the text, eh?

8. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Yay for Moo

I saw you on the Keynote and you weren't what I expected you to look like (Plus you weren't American! :O)

I agree with all that you're saying - But expect flaming about the price.
    "U gev it 4 free on jailbrake why nt on appstore>?!">>!ONE!"

Hmm.
    I'm going to have to get a job to be able to pay for all these super cool apps (You're going to make me poor, Moo.)
    But yeah - Gratz and Good Luck

(Looking forward to a rhythm guitar so I hope you become successful

)
  9. mcdavid68

mcdavid68 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    if i do upgrade to 2.0 i will most definatly be buying some of your apps, keep up the good work!
  10. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thank you, for beeing you and thanks for your work. It was great to see you on the WWDC08. Great app, great guy.