MBP 15" Boot Camp Help

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Conya, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Conya

Conya Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hey everyone, I'm going to be buying a MBP (15 inch, irrelavent I guess but anyway

Please Register or Log in to view images

) in October this year (for school next year), and because our school only allows us to use Windows XP, I have to use boot camp to boot it.

But I have a few questions..

1. Is it possible to boot three OS' at once? (osx, win xp, win 7)

2. How much do people think I will need on the XP partition just for school things? 120gb? I'm not sure, it'd be great if people who have done this (bought a macbook and booted another OS for use of school) can give me a general idea of what they did.

Thanks so much if you can help.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Switch

Switch New Member

I'm unsure as to why you need windows 7 in addition to windows XP. If you just want it for the sake of having it, I probably wouldn't bother with it. However, if you do find all three necessary, it is possible to do so. You need a boot loader with that capability and you also need enough hard drive space and ram.

As for partitioning i believe that as long as you have at least 32 GB dedicated to each partition you should be fine. I would tend to leave more GB's on the OS you are going to be using predominantly. It depends what you will use each one for as well, say you're just going to use vista for certain programs at school and files + notes, maybe just keep most of your hard drive with mac and a smaller portion with windows.

Sorry if something didn't make sense (late night) any other questions i will also try to answer.
  3. Conya

Conya Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm going to be using programs for school, like Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and other programs the school give us for subjects, which I will be using at school.

Is it possible I could run Windows 7 in VMware on the Mac, even having XP boot camp'd already?

And with the partition size, I'm thinking about 150gb for Windows, but I'm not too sure if I'm gonna use Windows more or OSX more.

Thanks.