Maybe I'm just an idiot?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TouchMichael, Feb 16, 2010.

1. TouchMichael

TouchMichael New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi Folks,

First post here. I'm a newbie to the Mac world basically.

I now have an iPod Touch 8G and don't even know if it is a 2G or 3G because it doesn't say anywhere on the device or the packaging.

I have some basic questions.

I would like to know how I can import straight text files into the iPod so that they can be read and edited on the iPod.
    Seems straight forward, but I can't see anywhere how to do this.

Also how can I copy some text from one app into another app on my iPod? Since I can't see a way to have two apps open at the same time maybe this is impossible? I would like to do the above without an internet connection, because most of the time I don't have one when using my iPod.

And finally, how can I view the files on my iPod, to make copies of them, transfer them etc.? You know, sort of like using Windows Explorer on the PC, or Norton Commander, or Total Commander etc.

Thanks!
  2. fastflame750

fastflame750 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey Michael! Welcome to the forums

If you are not sure whether your 8GB iPod Touch is 2nd or 3rd Generation, check the model number, by going to Settings -> General -> About, if the first two letters of it are "MC", then you're iPod is third generation.

As far as text editing goes, I would recommend getting an app on the App Store for that. Personally, the two best are "Quick Office" and "Docstogo". With those applications, you can edit and create Word and Excel documents.

To copy and paste text, you have to make sure you have OS 3.0, again, if you are not sure what firmware you have, go to Settings -> General -> About, and look at the version number. If it is 3.0 or higher you have the copy and paste feature.
    To use this feature, simply double tap on the text you want to copy in an app, for example, Notes or Mail, and it should give you an option to Cut, Copy, or Paste.

For viewing files on you're iPod, it is probably best to be jailbroken. If you're iPod is 3rd generation, it can't fully be jailbroken yet. But, that's for a whole new thread if you're new to jailbreaking. BUT, if you do eventually jailbreak your iPod, you will download an app called "iFile", which can be purchased through Cydia.

I am somewhat new to all this to, so anyone feel free to correct me! Feel free to ask any questions!
  3. TouchMichael

TouchMichael New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi FF, thanks for the welcome and help!

OK now I know I have a 3rd gen iPod and OS 3.1.3.

I'll check out "Quick Office" and "Docstogo" as you recommended.

I understand that they have made the newer models more difficult to jailbreak. For the time being, unless something new comes up, I'll keep it as it is.

Thanks again!
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Viewing text files on your iPod is as simple as emailing them to yourself. From there, you can copy the entire document and paste it into your notes application or one of the aforementioned word processors to edit it. You can also copy and paste files directly from your computer to your iPod (and vice-versa) with a lovely application from Tapbots called Pastebot. You'll need a Mac for it though.
  5. raxater

raxater New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Maybe is there many posts, but i like to post my turn

Please Register or Log in to view images

Go to settings, general, about and then look for your ID
    If it starts by:

MA: it's a 1gen

MB: it's a 2gen

MC: it's a 3gen

No thanks required

6. fastflame750

fastflame750 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, Michael,

Be sure to also take spoonknife's advice, but "Quick Office" (which is what I use) let's you mount your iPod Touch as a drive on your computer. So, in simple terms, you can easily drag and drop files, and they will appear in the "Quick Office" application. No additional software needed!

Also, since you have a 3rd Generation iPod Touch on 3.1.3 firmware, it is best for you not to jailbreak. Actually there might not even be a possibility of jailbreaking it, I'm still a little vague on that

Anyone, feel free to clarify!