Maybe a speaker for the iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by nelson480, Jan 26, 2009.

1. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I had to take my iPod touch 1G apart 4 TIMES tonight to fix the battery connection. Last September i changed the battery myself in my iPod because it wouldnt hold a charge for a day, and i was sucessful. I stripped the wires a little too long (4mm) and they were touching each other yesterday and it wasnt charging but i could use it til it went dead, anyway im off topic and fixed that with some tape and found the clicker/speaker and was hoping if maybe if i put an iphone speaker in its place if it would work, ill post a pic.

Attached Files:

2. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It'd be a lot of hard work, but I suppose it is plausible.
  3. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    people did this to the old 5.5g iPods so i dont see why not, you would probably have to just connect it to the headphone jack on the inside.
  4. prauny

prauny Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Could you let us know even if it does not work? I would like to know either way.
  5. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

it probably wont because the firmware for 1st gens begin with iPod1, (1 indicating the generation). that firmware has no speaker capability in it, only control for the piezo. if you could somehow edit both a 1G and 2G firmware and locate where the speaker control is on the 2G, you could probably import that piece of code and replace the piezo code on the 1G. i dont know of any program that would decompile an apple device firmware to edit, but that just the only idea that came to mind.

but im pretty sure you could remove the piezo and solder on a new speaker.
  6. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    What he said ^^

In matter of hardware, it is possible to remove the current speaker and add a proper one but with software you might/will have problems.
  7. Matt27272

Matt27272 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You would have to somehow get the 2g firmware on there because the 1g doesn't have support for using the speaker other than for the alarm. If you replaced the speaker, you would have a louder, better sounding alarm, but that's all.
  8. prauny

prauny Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    How about wiring a speaker up to the headphone socket? So that when headphones are plugged in the speaker is bypassed? Would an EQ of some kind need to be installed for good volume though .... maybe not. Im not trying it though, my ipod works so I'm happy with it. I'll get a 2G when the jailbreak comes out instead.