Math and Programming

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by ZombieKiller, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Do you need to be proficient in mathematics to become a good programmer?

Because if you do... i know what i cant become!
  2. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i'm taking my first programming class this year, and even though its only a highschool level class, honestly, i'd say you really don't
    not if you're just doing fairly simple things
    if anything, i'm sure most people could handle the math that does come at you
  3. Gman4354

Gman4354 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No math involved at all really.

Unless if you are creating a game and need to assign X and Y cordinates for it.
  4. Sloppy

Sloppy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You need to be good at thinking logically though just like Mathematics.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Programming is nothing more than math.
  6. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Math is just numbers but put into a logical sequence although math is not technically needed logic is so if you have logic you should be able to do maths, if that all sounds complicated use a calculator, maths does help though.
  7. centroid

centroid New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Correct. I don't know where you are getting the idea that math is not involved with programming. I'm sure if you can program and your not good with math you can work on that.

The amount and level of math depends on the program but in order to be successful you need to have a good grip on math. Any computer science major requires you to go up in a higher level math class than someone who is pursuing a history major.
  8. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

Any interesting code will involve math.
  9. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    So... i guess it depends on what your programming. I am a good logical thinker i guess... i like to think on how stuff works, and how they might of gotten to work like that. I've noticed that once im getting older, i starting to pay attention to what im thinking about more often.

Hey, also, once that im already posting... i wanted to know... when did you start to get interested in programming and when did you actually get to start learning?

Thanks guys.
  10. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

I started being interested in programming when I was 12. My dad sat me down one night on his workstation and taught me a little C#, which is the primary language he uses at his job. It didn't make much sense to me, but I'm glad he did it. This made me look around at other stuff, and eventually I found Python. By the time I was 14, I pretty much had Python mastered. Other than the whole Python 3000 thing, I have Python down backwards and forwards.

Then I realized Python isn't low-level enough to do anything fun, so I learned C and enough assembler to be dangerous.

I'm 15 now, and that is where I reside. So far I've written three "major" programs, one being a complete a functional GUI for XPwn, a console cross-posting client for Twitter and Laconica, and a command-line tool to send SMS messages with an iPhone's modem.