iPhone 3GS Maps with 3GS not accurate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luigi453, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Luigi453

Luigi453 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    When i use maps on a wifi network, it works really well. But when im on a 3G network, Maps pin points my location a few streets over from where i actually am. Does anyone else have this problem??
  2. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i was using maps with no 3g just gprs and it was pinpoint accurate, literally it had the blue dot exactly where i was
  3. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I've had this happen before as well. Not all the time though. Some times it seems that the map overlay is off rather than my shown location( the whole thing was shifted a bit north-west). the difference wasn't so much that i didn't know where i was though.
  4. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i tested it because i went camping, had very little signal and wanted to see its accuracy, so i stood on the corner of a football field, and the blue dot was directly on the corner of the football field in maps, i was pretty astonished actually.
  5. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    GPS is more or less line of sight, so if your in a building, it will be less accurate. On my 3GS, its deadly accurate outside my house, inside my house, it has an error of like 50 meters.
  6. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    it's always more accurate outside because of less interference with the radio towers.
  7. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i thought radio towers help to make your location more accurate..?
  8. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yeah, sorry, wasn't clear. I meant less interference between the phone and the towers. lol
  9. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thats normal. I had a 3G and it wasnt always accurate too. It depends on GPS signal and all that crap. Also since its A-GPS it unloads some stuff onto AT&T's severs for processing and then gets it back. Sometimes their is conflicting data from the iPhone's GPS and the server data. Just turn on 3G and see if its more accurate. The GPS on an iPhone isnt meant to be used as a dedicated one.