Maps or Navigation question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dano, Oct 19, 2007.

1. dano

dano New Member

Hi everyone, first post lol. Looked around the whole forums and I could not find the answers I needed so I guess I'll post. I haven't gotten the Ipod Touch yet but I'm going to be getting it in tomorrow! My real interest was in the Google Map or uhh Navigation. Do you get turn-by-turn directions and such or do you have to stay connected. I'm getting lost alot and I wanted this primarily for that!
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

You can get turn by turn directions. It's one of three options (Map/Satellite/List).
  3. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

You cannot use google maps for turn by turn directions. To use google maps you need to be connected to wifi. Google maps is sort of useless on the touch because there is no "edge" like service. However you can use the app posted above for turn by turn directions.
  4. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah, but its not a realtime navigation system, so you have to first preload the directions by loading it with your browser at a place with wifi, then you can get on your car and drive out and even without wifi, you can view your directions. Since you can have multiple windows open, just preload multiple windows and you'll be fine. If you need more directions or need to edit them, just stop by a Starbucks or something.

It is just as useful and no, it doesn't require edge.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

And, if you're worried about accidently losing the directions, just save them via screenshots and use Preview to view them.

I prefer to use preview in conjunction with Finder.
  6. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you have not jailbreaked your iPod Touch, my method works perfectly fine. I do it all the time and have no worried about losing them.
  7. dano

dano New Member

Thanks alot everyone for your answers! Can't wait til I get my Ipod Touch tomorrow! Finding WiFi is not a problem here...theres a starbucks every 2 blocks and sometimes 2 starbucks on the same block...it puzzles me sometimes..o well!