Maps need Wi-fi?

Discussion in 'iPhone Applications on iPod touch' started by kingof1994, Nov 8, 2007.

1. kingof1994

kingof1994 New Member

Does Maps.app need Wi-Fi or is there a way I can pre-download all the maps I need for later use without internet?
  2. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I dont think so.
  3. CyberPrime

CyberPrime New Member

map pieces are cached somewhat, but it takes forever to load, and you will only get like 1/2 a mile from where you start/left off.
  4. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Maps.app needs wifi, though it saves the last map you viewed much like how safari retains the last webpage you browsed and viewable offline. So if you want to get somewhere, load up the map with Maps.app and close it and it will still be there next time you use maps.app. Or for an easier way without having to install maps.app, just go to mapquest or google maps and load up the map with directions on the page you are viewing, and maybe have one or two tabs with zoomed in views or different views, then exit safari and so you will have the maps and directions you need to get to where you need to go and back.
  5. vadimqwe

vadimqwe New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah but then when u try to open the safari, it automatically starts to refresh and since theres no connection, it just turns blank
  6. Rs7588

Rs7588 New Member

ther is a way to enlarge the cahce of maps.app to 1GB. I saw a thread/post bout it in here somewhere....i wasnt smart enough to read the whole thing so i dont kow how its done at the moment. i've been trying t search fro a tut or instructions on enlarging the cache...haha enlarging the cahce.
  7. ywc19

ywc19 New Member

Yes, save maps for later use w/o wifi

1 - With wifi, bring up the maps you think you'll need.
    2 - For each map, bookmark it (click on the blue arrow to the right of the red pin).
    3 - Now, without wifi, you can bring up the bookmarked maps (click on the blue book on the top-right corner).
  8. SCG AnDy

SCG AnDy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  9. TiKo

TiKo Member

would be cool if there was a way to save it all, cause even with bookmarks you can ask for a route...
  10. GeorgeGabriel

GeorgeGabriel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Directions on Maps.app do work if you put them in before hand.

Handy if you're going somewhere in the car.