iOS 3.1 Maps knows where I am? (iPod Touch)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by MJeto7, Dec 3, 2009.

1. MJeto7

MJeto7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Okay, someone explain this.

I have a first gen iPod Touch, running 3.1.2.

This thanksgiving I was in a big city (Arlington VA), so i had superfast internet at the hotel. The "Determine location" feature never works at home on my wifi (Satellite internet

Please Register or Log in to view images

) So i decided to give it a try. Woo! It works. It finds me exactly where I am.

Then, my family wants to eat out. We find a place in some brochure, but we're not quite sure where it is. I volunteer to get directions with the maps app, and all is going well. We're on our way, almost there, when the pin (tells me where i'm at) suddenly moves! You have no idea how freaked out that I was. I was NOT on any wifi connection. The pin just updated about every ten seconds of my exact location. It was amazing.

Watch, after that long explanation I will realize that i'm the only person in the world that doesn't know this

Another thing, since i'm typing up a novel. Anyone give me some tips of why VNC doesn't work on my freshly installed XP SP3? Not only that, but the remote app doesn't work either. Do i need something basic (Like idk, .net?) installed, that i don't?

-Thanks hahah. Sorry for the novel

2. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    THAT.
    IS.
    AWESOME.
    BUT
    Are you sure you werent picking up random password-less signals?
  3. MJeto7

MJeto7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I promise you I wasn't. I was sooooo excited.

Like we were going on 66 (A highway by a metro) and it was updating!!! We had to have been going at least fifty. There's no way it was wifi...

4. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Hole.
    E.
    Sheet.
    Next time we go somewhere i am so gonna try that
  5. MJeto7

MJeto7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    It needs to be a bigger city.

I also found that Maps can remember your history. Ex. If you zoomed in, and went all around Virginia, It can remember that when you go offline.
  6. BajanSurfer

BajanSurfer New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yeah so the maps app uses wifi triangulation to determine where you are. it works quite well in big cities. some company (cant remember the name) has driven around a wifi-equipped vehicle and has created a database of where you can pick up wireless networks, what the names of the networks are (ssid) and what signal strength they have in that particular spot. this is the technology the ipt uses. (sorry no secret gps chip). So yeah, this will only work in places that have alot of wifi networks and that this company has covered, which are mostly big cities.

Sorry i cant help with the VNC, maybe try making sure windows is completely updated?
  7. IHAZIPODTOUCHOMG

IHAZIPODTOUCHOMG New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    That's amazing. My map for IPT 3G 3.1.2 tells me I'm about 50-60 metres away from where I am, with 3 bars of Wi-Fi.
  8. MJeto7

MJeto7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I'm gonna go with the gps chip

Or maybe an AT&T chip

And I want to doubt your "theory" because I wasn't connected to any thing, and was going too fast to pick up wifi

But thanks for the explanation. I've heard of it before. Someone said UPS did it..
  9. Evostance

Evostance Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Haha I had exactally the same thing. I was using a Shopper application, and I set my shops up at home on my Wifi and then set the location of the shops.

When I was out I was walking around and I walked into one of the shops and it said "You have arrived at Home Bargains, do you want to load your shopping list?"

I was just like...wtf.. how?

No idea how it did it, couldn't find any Wifi connections about so not sure what triggered it
  10. BajanSurfer

BajanSurfer New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch

This is exactly how it is done, you really think apple has hidden a GPS chip in the ipod touch that is functional and that they don't advertise?

this is the company that provides apple with the data,

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/coverage.php

i am guessing that the data is loaded onto the ipod when the maps are loaded as well.

this is a quote from the bottom of http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/maps.html

"Maps, directions, and location information depend on data collected by third parties."