Map program not locating me correctly

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by swskeptic, Nov 17, 2008.

1. swskeptic

swskeptic New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My map program (and subsequently all other location based programs) is not locating me properly. When I go to "maps" and try to triangulate my positions by using mine and other nearby wi-fi points it plots me in a completely different town.

We recently moved to a different town and it is still plotting me at my former address.

I tried changing my IP address but it won't change... Any ideas?
  2. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That feature has never worked for me, I tried and tried to get it working, and it never did, so I went in to the settings and turned that off, and I just enter my location manually in apps now.
  3. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    it doesnt work for some people, for whatever reason.

it could be your wifi, your ISP, your location, etc.

sorry

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    maybe it has a cache that's not going away or something? i don't know, just theorizing...
  5. godogshomie

godogshomie New Member

hmmm mine works 100% gets my location within 50 feet here in small town Texas…

i wonder why??

6. swskeptic

swskeptic New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    the IP address used by my router is still associated with my old address. I know that has got to be the problem. I've tried to release and renew my IP address many times but it never changes.

Am I missing something here? I REALLY want to get this fixed please.

I've tried calling Comcast (my ISP) but to no avail. The guy on the other end said the problem is with my iPod, which is obviously not true considering that I only received it on the 13th, and we have been living here at this new address for quite some time now.

Basically what I'm saying is, helllllp. I've googled forever anything I could think of and nothing has helped, so I'm hoping someone here will know. Thanks!
  7. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It's probably your MAC address causing the problem. IPs can change easily, so Apple/Skyhook don't use 'em for location. MAC addresses are burned into every network device. You can spoof them (ifconfig on the iPod) so other devices can't see the real address, but you can't really change them. Go to Skyhook.com, tell them you router's MAC address and where the router is, and in a month or so Maps location should work. I wouldn't worry about privacy, you don't even need to give them your real E-Mail address when they ask you. It improved my location accuracy "across the pond"

(BTW: Skyhook is the provider for the Apple location services)
  8. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    skyhook.com forwards to a site called campaignbustour.com - the correct address is http://www.skyhookwireless.com/
    and this is the address you need to go to in order to submit your router, etc.:
    http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php
  9. swskeptic

swskeptic New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So, I've submitted my connection to Skyhook, it says it should only take about a week, so we will see. If that doesn't work in a month I'm just not going to worry about it.

Thanks for the help lauNchD, I appreciate it, lets hope it works!
  10. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

I submitted to Skyhook over 3 weeks ago and still locations don't work for me. I wonder how long it can take.