Map browsing app for use with no wifi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by my touch, Oct 5, 2010.

1. my touch

my touch Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    so i just ordered my first ipod touch - the 32gb 4g

n00b to the app world as only have used nano's up till now

question - i know you can browse maps when wifi is available but will i be able to browse maps when hiking or out on the road? do i need to download an app with a map database? i imagine so but please confirm and advise any apps you recommend.

thanks for the help and sorry for the n00b question
  2. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Say you have already viewed a part of a map while you where on Wifi, you can go back and view them offline, but only that certain part. I would recommend checking out the AppStore and seeing what they have in terms of map apps. What exactly type of map would you need?
  3. my touch

my touch Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    i have a gps for the car but don't like to take it on my motorcycle. sometimes i just like to go and ride to different cities. would be nice to just browse for good twisty roads on the way back or seeing what is around when i stop for food.

thanks for the quick response - will be browsing the app store. wanted to see if anyone here had any experience and advice to offer first.
  4. ognistik

ognistik New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    wait for the jailbreak and get xGPS... you can get offline maps and zoom all the way in for street names and stuff
  5. Ruffdraft

Ruffdraft New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This xGPS sounds interesting. Ive shared the same query as OP. It would be ultra useful.
  6. Eddiewattz

Eddiewattz Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
  7. my touch

my touch Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    eddie or anyone have experience with Omaps? that seems like what i would want however based on the reviews recieved perhaps a better offline map app exists. it has a 2star rating and 3 1star reviews where users complain of included spyware, crashing, and inadequate zoom.

if anyone has experienced different or have other suggestions the input is still appreciated. will be looking into xGPS as of now.
  8. Shadewalkerz

Shadewalkerz Member

I bought OffMaps because I were on a trip to Hamburg (Germany). I downloaded the guide and the Maps, fully zoomed in (~400 MB). It worked great and helped us a lot!