Map App?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by trogers230, Feb 19, 2009.

1. trogers230

trogers230 New Member

Hi,

I am going looking for an app that uses a downloaded map so that you can permanently know where you are going, even when you have no access to wifi, I am going to new york soon and so this would be really useful, most of the map or travel apps seem to be aimed at the iphone and use the 3G or gps or something which the ipod touch cant do and so i was wondering if there is an app that features a fully downloaded map so that it can be used on the go, maybe one that updates itself when a wifi connection is available, i don't mind paying for it. Does anybody know of such an app?

Cheers.

Tom Rogers.
  2. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I think there is a jailbroken application, OfflineMaps. What you do is you open the Maps application, scroll around, let it load the places you want to go to, and then just open OfflineMaps, and it'll save the cache, which will be available for loading at any time. You can update it when you are in a WiFi hotspot.

It's free.
  3. trogers230

trogers230 New Member

cheers,

whats jailbroken, sorry am new to all this, havent had the ipod long?

cheers,

tom rogers
  4. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Oh, sorry. Jailbreak is a way to get read-write access to filesystem. Search the forums.
  5. trogers230

trogers230 New Member

Hi,

have been reading a little into this, i have a few questions:

is it safe?

can it brick my ipod?

will it still work with itunes?

have apple released a way for these apps to be available without jailbreak, i read some stuff about February?

anything else i should know about?

is there an app i can get without doing this as i am slightly apprehensive about this??

Cheers,

Tom Rogers
  6. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yes, it is safe. Done it since I got my iPod

No, It cannot. Nothing soft-related can break your iPod.

Yes, with no flaws

No, these applications would be rejected by Apple because they access files outside of the application's "sandbox"

Read the iPod touch User's Manual, by spoonforknife. It tells you everything you need to know.

No, not yet.

Hope I helped! Any more questions, PM me or post here. [Ideally, both]