MAP APP. is not working? "Your location could not be determined"

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by xdarkdragonx01, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bodi_dillon

bodi_dillon New Member

sorry this may sound stupid but, is ur wifi turned on and connected?
  2. darc10222

darc10222 Banned

Do you have to connected to Wi-Fi to get your location? I heard you don't but that doesn't sound like it would work at all. How would it send/receive the information?
  3. bindle

bindle Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    it uses skyhook for locating you i believe i heard jobs say.

check out their coverage:

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/coverage.php

"To pinpoint location, WPS uses a massive reference network comprised of the known locations of over 23 million Wi-Fi access points. To develop this database, Skyhook has deployed specialized vehicles to survey every single street, highway, and alley in 8,000 cities and towns, scanning for Wi-Fi access points and plotting their precise geographic locations.

WPS currently provides coverage to 70% of the American, Canadian, and Australian populations. By the end of March 2008, Skyhook will have coverage in the top 50 metropolitan areas of Europe as well as cities and towns representing 50% of the UK, French and German markets."

if you can't be located via wifi beacons, then your area just might not be that well covered in their database right now.

edit: i'm in northern california, our area is blanketed :p
  4. odeed

odeed New Member

Does anyone think that 'Skyhook' sounds a bit too much like 'skynet'? ....hmmmm
  5. herchu

herchu New Member

The confusion comes because under the principles of this technolgy in *theory* you don't need to connected to locate yourself. All the technology needs is to view wifi access points (be them open
    or encrypted) and a database that maps MAC addresses (unique ids) of such access points
    to geographic coordinates.

Given that the iPod haven't got this database and that Google Maps gets those points through
    an external provider, in *practice* you need to be connected to internet to retrieve the information.
  6. ./^\.ACE./^\.

./^\.ACE./^\. Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    OK, here is the full 411 on the locate me function...

1. You must have the Maps app, Duh...
    2. You need to be conected to a non secure Wi-Fi location (A Wi-Fi location with uninterupted linking from you to the internet)
    3. You need to be in an area suported by the locate me function...
    4. Once you have all the other things it can still be a hit or miss with the location and if it is not sure it will just say that it failed...

The locate me doesn't work at my house because I have a secure cable internet line...
    But it does work at my college were the Wi-Fi if open to anyone in range...
    So it will not always work and it will not always be sure where you are...
  7. quickdood

quickdood New Member

It works but not all the time as some have said. Where I live it wouldn't work and I thought it was broken. Then while I was visiting my grandparents I gave it a try and it found me no problem. So yeah it depends on the wireless networks in your area.
  8. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That one is incorrect. Works on WPA, WEP, and Open wifi, *as long as the AP is broadcasting SSID*, and as long as the skyhook T1 Terminator scanning truck has passed by since the AP was put in service.

Maybe they missed your house, or you're not broadcasting your SSID, or you recently added the access point?
  9. xdarkdragonx01

xdarkdragonx01 New Member

lol...yes :D:D:D:D
  10. xdarkdragonx01

xdarkdragonx01 New Member

my wifi is connected and i checked that my location is covered...but i still cant locate my location