MAP APP. is not working? "Your location could not be determined"

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by xdarkdragonx01, Jan 28, 2008.

1. xdarkdragonx01

xdarkdragonx01 New Member

i tried using the MAP app. but, it saids "Your location could not be determined" ><"
    can anyone help me?
  2. Led

Led Banned

It's okay. Sometimes that happens. I think (i'm not 100% sure) that maps triagulates your location meaning that you need 3 networks open or something.
  3. xdarkdragonx01

3 networks open?
    what do you mean?
  4. Gaming Warrior

Gaming Warrior New Member

That function doesn't work on the iPod Touch. its an iphone only function as it uses mobile towers to get your position.
  5. xdarkdragonx01

are you serious..

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Nawz

Nawz New Member

It works on ipodtouchmasters ipod.. on touch it just uses wifi, iphone its wifi/cell tower
  7. Loudmouth2332

Loudmouth2332 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    DUDE total mis-informations there. STOP POSTING BAD INFORMATION

This totally works with an ipod. but not everywhere. It has to be mapped out wifi hot spots. Depending on where you are in the country, the company that apple worked with on this might not has covered you area yet. It works just no everywhere. I did it today and it was only about a 1/2 mile off from my actual location. I know others who have gotten it down to their house.
  8. Kentric

Kentric New Member

The iPod uses wireless networks in order to triangulate your position, as opposed to cell towers for the iPhone. Whoever said that the function doesn't work on the iPod is mistaken.

Based on the information from the Skyhook website (the company that provides the locate service), you need at least 3 wireless networks in your immediate vicinity for the locate function to work properly on your iPod. Mine doesn't work at my house since there's no one else with wireless that lives within 200-300 feet of me, but I tested it on the way home from school today on a street with access to 5 individual wireless networks and it worked. The wireless version is supposedly accurate to within 20 meters or so and the accuracy may increase with the number of available nearby wireless networks (mine was accurate to within maybe 5-10 feet, probably due to the fact that there were 5 networks available)
  9. johnnypuffs

johnnypuffs New Member

this worked for me on 1.1.3 before jailbreak but now does not. All my neighbors have wifi as well. My whole area seems well covered on the website where you check it. Anyone else have this happen only after jb ??
  10. chaurjyh

chaurjyh New Member

Seriously, there's another method which it uses to determine your location other than the mobile tower triangulation and wifi hotspot triangulation....

It uses Geo-IP... identity of ur IP is retrieved and then the associated address is used as the location of where u r... very accurate i muz say... located me straight to my block of flats...