Manually uploading videos to iPod touch? -HELP-

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iAndrew, Aug 20, 2009.

1. iAndrew

iAndrew New Member

I have a few .MP4 files that I wanted to put onto my 1G iPod Touch (8gig). When I tried to use iTunes to upload the files it says that "[the file] was not copied because [the file] cannot be played on this device".

I know that my iPod can play MP4's, obviously, because I have other MP4 files on my iPod. I have no idea why it won't work. Is there any way I can SSH these files onto my iPod touch? Either into Videos, or maybe even MxTube? I tried to upload the file into MxTube, but it didn't show up in the library on my iPod.
  2. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Yes, the iPod Touch supports .MP4 videos. But there is at least a few things you need to keep in mind.
    1) The iPod can only play play videos with a certain format. Usually MP4 AVC 3.0 Baseline profile and AAC Audio.
    2) While iTunes does accept MP4 Videos, on unjailbroken firmware the file(s) have to end with .m4v instead .mp4. With jailbroken firmware, you can use either or.
    3) About 1.; there are several programs out there that can convert the files to the proper format, they usually won't say AVC 3.0 Baseline profile, because most people don't know what that is. A good free program to use, Xvid4PSP 5.0, it can convert files not only to PSP but for several other portable devices, such as the ipod. It's highly customizable, you can even control the output file size of the videos to be converted.
  3. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I convert my .MP4 files, using xVID4PSP 5.0 free software to be certain the size, format, etc. are right for my Touch.

I use i-Fun Box free software for PC.

There is also iFunBox for MAC.

In "folder view" I locate Raw File System/var/mobile/Library/Downloads and in "file view" I drag-n-drop the video into the Downloads folder.

Did I say "jailbreak"?

I used to be able to "import" my xVID4PSP converted videos, using an earlier version of iTunes. Not in the newer version.

palyons,

...you are fast.
  4. nanou

nanou New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Use total video converter. Thats the best converter ever.
  5. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    OR, do this:

Add the video to your normal iTunes Library on your COMPUTER, NOT the device.

Once its in your library, right click it, and press Create @!@$*$ Version (cant remember what it is), and iTunes will convert the file itself to an iPod-friendly format, using no Third-Party software mumbo-jumbo
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    And if you want real, free, easy-to-use software, use VideoOra.

All the other ones are a bunch of free-trial crap.
  6. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just use itunes....

For a real, free, easy to use, and open source converter, go for handbrake (best thing ever)
  7. d.wig

d.wig New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you for reading his post and answering his question instead of only telling him how to convert the videos which was not what he asked, but its what everyone else posted, i was looking for how to do this also.